Create Elements From Maintenance Item
A maintenance item identifies a defect, change, issue or task concerning an element. The maintenance item could itself be represented by an element if it has wider implications for the project or identifies - for example - an actor, activity or action that requires further definition.
You can create one or more elements from any maintenance item, using the Maintenance window. The new element is connected to the maintenance item's parent element by a Dependency connector. The item itself remains unchanged as a characteristic of its parent element.
To create an element from a maintenance item, follow the steps below:
- Open the Maintenance window and select the tab that contains the item you want to create the element from.
- Right-click on the required maintenance item. The item context menu displays. select the Create as new Element context menu option. The New Element dialog displays.
- In the Name field, type a name for the new element.
- In the Type field, click on the drop-down arrow and select the required element type. For example, you might create an Issue element for a Defect or Issue maintenance item, a Change element for a Change item, or an Action for a Task item.
You can, however, create a wide range of other element types should any of these be appropriate, and use the Select Group button to select a profile, MDG Technology or Add-In to create an element specific to that element group.
- If necessary, in the Stereotype field click on the drop-down arrow and select a stereotype to apply to the new element.
- If you want to immediately define the properties of the element, select the Open Properties Dialog on Creation checkbox.
- If you are adding multiple elements in one session, deselect the Close dialog on OK checkbox.
- If you want to add the element to the currently-open diagram, select the Add to Current Diagram checkbox.
- Click on the OK button to create the element.
The element is added to the Project Browser and - if requested - to the current diagram.