Create Element From Document
Using the Linked Document Editor, you can create document-specific elements and diagrams in the Project Browser, with hyperlinks from the document to the created item. When you click on the hyperlink, the element or diagram is highlighted in the Project Browser. The element or diagram is created in the same package as the element for which the linked document was created.
You can create and link to any type of element or diagram, but the facility has specific options for the following element types:
You can create the same arrangement with existing elements, diagrams and packages by dragging them from the Project Browser into the text of the document, creating a hyperlink with the item name as the text.
To create an element or diagram in the Project Browser, whilst in a linked document, follow the steps below:
- Open the linked document, either from a Document Artifact element or through the context menu for an existing element (Corporate, Business and Software Engineering, System Engineering and Ultimate editions).
- Enter some text, including appropriate text to act as the link (such as the element or diagram name).
- Highlight the appropriate text and right-click on it. The editor context menu displays.
- Select the Create | New menu option, and the required submenu option. If you select the:
- Class, Requirement or Issue option, the corresponding element is immediately created in the Project Browser.
- Other option, the New Element dialog displays; specify the element type and - if appropriate - stereotype, and click on the Create button.
- Diagram option, the New Diagram dialog displays; specify the diagram type and click on the OK button.
- The highlighted text is now a hyperlink. Click on the link to highlight the new element or diagram in the Project Browser.
You can now edit or expand the element or diagram as required.