Add and Edit State Lifeline
From the Timing elements page of the Toolbox drag a State Lifeline element onto your diagram. The element displays on the diagram.
To define the name of the State Lifeline, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the element. The context menu displays.
- Select the Other Properties option. The Timeline <name> dialog displays, showing the General tab.
- Overtype the Name field.
- Click on the Apply button and the OK button.
In the top left corner of a selected Lifeline element are the left and right quick sizing buttons (). These buttons increase or decrease the width of the Lifeline element, which in turn controls the scale width of each time unit. By increasing the width of the element you increase the resolution when adding transitions, which makes them easier to edit.
In order to edit the State Lifeline element, you must click on it to select it.
Set Timeline Start Position
You might require more space at the start of your timelines; for example, to use long state names. To insert this space in all the timelines on a diagram, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the diagram background to display the context menu.
- Select the Set Timeline Start Position menu option. The Set Timeline Start Position dialog displays.
- The Value 80 to 300 field defaults to 80 as the minimum distance in pixels between the start of the timeline element and the start of the timeline itself. Type a new value up to 300 pixels and click on the OK button to increase the space at the start of the timeline, as shown in the following diagrams.
80 Pixels 150 Pixels