Import a Pattern
Before using a previously created Pattern file in a UML model, you must first import it into the model; it is then available from the Resources window and optionally from the Toolbox. To import a UML Pattern you have previously saved, follow the steps outlined below:
- Select the Resources window.
- Right-click on the UML Patterns node. The context menu displays.
- Select the Import UML Pattern menu option. The Select UML Pattern Import Filename dialog displays.
- Locate the XML file to import.
- Click on the Open button to import the Pattern.
The imported Pattern is placed in the appropriate category as defined in the XML file. If the category does not already exist under UML Patterns, a new one is created.
Gang of Four patterns are integrated with Enterprise Architect in the EABase.eap file. However, if you create your model in a DBMS repository (or you inadvertently delete the patterns from your model .eap file) you can use the above procedure to download examples of the Gang of Four patterns from the GoF Patterns zip file on the Sparx Systems website.