The Model Views window enables you to encapsulate your model into the areas you are interested in. You display the window by selecting the View | Model Views menu option.
View Root Nodes
There are three types of View root-node available:
- Model Views - stored in the model and visible to all users; you can have many of these
- My Views - stored locally on your machine and visible only to you; you can have only one of these
- Technology-defined Views - read only; each View is stored with and populated by the corresponding active MDG Technology.
Additionally, there is a Recent Discussions folder that contains current correspondence from the Team Review concerning items that are held in any of the Views. The folder has a separate repository of postings for each team review server connection you access through the model. You can control how recent these postings must be, and how many are to be listed.
When you open the Model Views window for the first time on a project, a Model Views root section, My Views root section and Recent Discussions folder are added for you. These can not be deleted or renamed. However you can create further Model View root nodes which you can modify and delete.
Under the My Views root node you can add a single level of View folders, which enable you to group Search View folders as best suit your requirements.
- A Search View is a folder of elements or structures that you assemble by assigning a model search to the folder. When you double-click or expand the folder, the search runs and refreshes the folder contents.
You can also set a search to refresh at a defined interval, and to notify you if new results are found.
Under a Model View root node you can create Views folders that can contain Search View folders, Slideshow folders and Favorites folders.
- A Slideshow folder contains diagrams only, which you can display as a slide show with diagrams being shown in the sequence in which they are listed in the folder. One folder represents one slide show. You can run the slide show automatically or manually; in either case the diagrams are closed after they have been displayed.
- A Favorites folder gives you easy access to commonly-used items in the Project Browser. To create hyperlinks in a Favorites folder to the required items in the Project Browser, drag items from the Project Browser into the Favorites folder.
These are single-level items; if you drag a package into the Favorites folder, you cannot expand that package there. To select specific items inside a package, expand it in the Project Browser and then drag the items into the Favorites folder.
Key to Model View Contents
- A Model View root node
- A View Folder
- A Favorites Folder
- A View (search-based)
- The My Views root node
- The DoDAF-MODAF View (a Technology-defined View)
- The Recent Discussions folder
- A repository of postings from a selected team review, concerning elements in the Model Views
- The recent posts folder for the selected team review
Each level of the Model Views hierarchy has a slightly different context menu.