Work With Diagram Filters
Access Diagram Filters
You create, list and activate Diagram Filters using the Diagram Filters window, which you display by selecting the View | Diagram Filters menu option.
This is a dockable window, which you can move around or fix next to the Diagram View while you activate, deactivate and edit the filters.
Create a Diagram Filter
To create a filter to be applied to your diagrams, follow the steps below:
- On the Diagram Filter toolbar, click on the New Filter icon - the first on the left. Alternatively, right click on the list panel and select the New Filter context menu option. The Create New Diagram Filter dialog displays.
- In the Enter Filter Name field, type a name for the filter, then click on the OK button. The Diagram Filter dialog displays, with the Search On field fixed on Element.
- Scroll through the element properties to filter on, and select the checkbox against each property you require.
- For each property, click on the Condition field and select, from the drop-down list, the comparison condition to be applied. (Be aware of how the combination of Condition - Equal To / Not Equal To - and Filter Effect might affect the results on the diagram.)
- For each property, double-click on the Value field and type or select any specific value to filter on.
- Click on the OK button to save the filter and return to the Diagram Filters window.
Edit a Filter
To edit an existing filter on the Diagram Filters window, either double-click on the filter name, click on it and select the Properties icon from the toolbar (the second icon from the left), or right-click on the name and select the Properties context menu option. The Diagram Filter dialog displays; adjust the filtered fields as described above.
To just change the name of the filter, right-click on the name and select the Change Name context menu option. The Create New Diagram Filter dialog displays. Type over the existing name with the new name, and click on the OK button.
Set Effect of Filters
To set how your filters identify selected elements on your diagrams, click on the drop-down arrow of the Filter Effect field in the toolbar, and select one of the following options:
- Fade - display all elements that do not match the filter criteria in a pale version of the diagram background color.
- Gray Scale - display all elements that do not match the filter criteria in pale gray.
- Hide - conceal all elements that do not match the filter criteria.
- Select - select and highlight (with a hashed border) all those elements that do match the filter criteria.
To enable a filter so that it takes immediate effect on your diagrams, select the check box against the filter name. You can select more than one filter at a time, to combine their effects.
To disable a filter, clear the checkbox. This clears the effect of the filter on the diagram, so that it displays in full.
To disable all filters, click on the Reload Filters icon in the toolbar (third option from the left), or right-click on the list panel and select the Reload Filters context menu option.
Delete a Filter
To remove a filter from the Diagram Filters window, either click on the filter name and click on the Delete icon in the toolbar, or right-click on the filter name and select the Delete Filter context menu option.