Project Data Transfer
The Corporate, Business and Software Engineering, System Engineering and Ultimate editions of Enterprise Architect support a range of server-based repositories. At some point, it might become necessary to move a complete model from one repository to another, row by row, table by table.
The project data transfer function enables you to perform the following tasks:
- Upsize an existing .EAP file to a DBMS repository
- Download a DBMS repository to a .EAP file
- Move a repository from one DBMS to another, or from one server to another
- Move all records from a .EAP file with replication to a model with none (Remove Replication)
- Copy all records from a .EAP file to another (recommended after serious network crash or repeated database corruption)
- Copy all records from a JET 3.5 to JET 4 (Access 2000 or XP) repository - or back the other way.
Broadly, the process of performing a project data transfer is as follows:
- Select the Tools | Data Management | Project Transfer menu option. The Project Transfer dialog displays.
- Click on the appropriate option for the required transfer type:
- .EAP to .EAP
- DBMS to .EAP
- .EAP to DBMS
- DBMS to DBMS
- In the Source Project and Target Project fields, type or select the name or connection string for the Source and Target projects.
- Click on the Transfer button.
However, you must transfer data into a repository (where scripts have been run to set up tables), not just a database, and each type of DBMS imposes certain conditions on the process; see the Transfer the Data stage in each of the Upsize to a DBMS Repository procedures.