Export Controlled Model Branch
You might want to export a newly created model branch from your own private copy of a model so that, for example:
- Another user can import that branch into their own private copy of the same model, or
- It can be imported for inclusion as a common branch in a number of different models.
Applying version control to an Enterprise Architect model can result in many XMI files placed under version control. It could then be hard to locate and import the file corresponding to the root of a particular model branch. Enterprise Architect's Model Branch Files (.EAB files) overcome this problem by simplifying the retrieval of model hierarchies for use in other models.
The facility is only enabled for packages that are already under version control. The exported Model Branch File is also placed under version control, using the same version control configuration that is controlling the selected package.
To export a model branch, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the version controlled package to export as a model branch.
- Select the Package Control | Export as Model Branch context menu option. The Export as Model Branch dialog displays.
- In the EAB Filename field, type a name for your Model Branch File. Alternatively, click on [ ... ] and browse for the file location.
Note that the package name is supplied as a default.
You can specify any file name, including sub-folder names, as long as the file is contained in or below the working folder of your version control configuration.