Import EMX/UML2 Files
Rational Software Architect (RSA) enables you to add many UML models under a single root.
These models can have cross references between them. However, RSA cannot save the entire root as one file; it saves each UML model as a separate EMX file. This means that an EMX file with cross-references is not self-contained as it references elements in another EMX file.
In releases earlier than release 7.0, Enterprise Architect treats each EMX file as a separate model and hence does not allow for cross-references between them. From release 7.0, Enterprise Architect enables these cross-references. You therefore have the option of importing a single EMX/UML2 file or a group of EMX/UML2 files. This option enables you to select a group of related files and import them together, thereby retaining the cross-references between the different files.
To import single or multiple *.emx /*.uml2 files into Enterprise Architect, follow the steps below:
- In the Project Browser window, select the package into which to import the file.
- Right-click and select the Import/Export | Import Package from XMI context menu option, or
- Select the Project | Import/Export | Import Package from XMI menu option.
The Import Package from XMI dialog displays.
- Click on the Import EMX / UML2 Files button. The Import Package from XMI dialog redisplays, formatted for .EMX/.UML2 file imports.
- Click on the [ ... ] (Browse) button next to the Directory field. The Select Import EMX / UML2 File(s) dialog displays, which enables you to select multiple files.
- Select the file or files (use [Ctrl]+click or [Shift]+click to select several files) and click on the Open button. The Import Package from XMI dialog redisplays; the Selected File(s) panel lists the selected files.
- Select the Write Log File checkbox to write a log of import activity (recommended); the log file is saved in the directory from which the file is being imported, with the name import.log.
- Click on the Import button. Enterprise Architect indicates the progress of the import in the Import Progress field.