Import Reference Data
You can import reference data into your model in Enterprise Architect, from a reference data .xml file exported from another model or from an iteration of the current model, either:
- Manually, as required, whenever you know there is new or changed data to apply, or
- Automatically whenever the model is reloaded into Enterprise Architect (if the file has changed since the previous import).
When you import data into Enterprise Architect, the system merges the incoming data with the existing data. If a record already exists it is updated to the new values. If the record does not exist, Enterprise Architect adds a new record. Enterprise Architect never deletes records.
For a list and explanation of the data types you could import, see the Export Reference Data topic.
To import data manually, follow the steps below:
- Select the Tools | Import Reference Data menu option. The Import Reference Data dialog displays.
- Click on the Import File tab and on the Select File button, then select the filename to import data from. This must be an XML file produced by the Enterprise Architect Data Exporter.
- If you have entered the name of a valid file, a list of available tables to import displays in the Select Datasets to Import panel.
- Click on one or more of the tables to import (press [Ctrl] or [Shift] to click on multiple tables).
- Click on the Import button to start the process. A message displays when the import is complete. Generally the process is quite fast.
The automatic import checks if the source file has changed since the last import; if the file has not changed, the import does not proceed. If the file has changed the changed data is imported; however, you can configure Enterprise Architect to display a prompt for you to allow or cancel the import.
To set up the system to check and import reference data automatically whenever your model is reloaded into Enterprise Architect, follow the steps below:
- Select the Tools | Import Reference Data menu option. The Import Reference Data dialog displays. Click on the Shared File tab.
- If you are changing an existing configuration to import from a different .XML file, click on the Clear button to clear the dialog fields.
- Click on the Select File button and browse for the filename to import data from. This must be an XML file produced by the Enterprise Architect Data Exporter.
- If you have entered the name of a valid file, a list of tables to import displays in the Datasets in File panel.
- If you prefer to control whether or not the automatic import takes place, select the Always prompt before import checkbox.
- Click on the Import button to import the reference data now, and to enable the automatic check and import for subsequent reloads.