Upsize to PostgreSQL
You upsize your model repository to a PostgreSQL database in the following stages:
Stage One: Install PostgreSQL Components
- Install PostgreSQL, version 7.3.2 or higher.
- Install psqlODBC, version 7.03.01.00 or higher (but do not use version 8.4.1).
- Create a suitable ODBC Data Source to point to your new database.
Stage Two: Configure the Database
- From the PSQL command line, or using a tool such as the PostgreSQL command line, pgAdminIII or EMS PostgreSQL Manager, load the PostgreSQL_EASchema.sql file. This is available from the Sparx Systems website.
- Run the script to create all required data structures (that is, create the repository).
See the Create a PostgreSQL Repository topic.
You now have an empty database repository, into which you can transfer an existing model.
Stage Three: Perform Integrity Check
Run the project integrity check tool (select the Tools | Data Management | Project Integrity Check menu option) on the base project that you intend to upsize to the PostgreSQL repository, to ensure the project data is 'clean' before uploading.
Stage Four: Transfer the Data
- Open Enterprise Architect and select the Tools | Data Management | Project Transfer menu option. The Project Transfer dialog displays.
- In the Transfer Type panel, select the .EAP to DBMS radio button.
- In the Source Project field, type the name of the .EAP file to upsize to PostgreSQL.
- At the right of the Target Project field, click on the [ ... ] (Browse) button. The Data Link Properties dialog displays, showing the Provider tab.
- Select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers from the list, then click on the Next>> button. The Connection tab displays.
- In the Use data source name field, click on the drop-down arrow and select the ODBC driver you have set up to connect to your PostgreSQL repository.
- Click on the Test Connection button to confirm that the details are correct.
- If the test does not succeed, revise your settings. If the test succeeds, click on the OK button. The Project Transfer dialog redisplays.
- If required, select the Logfile checkbox and type a path and filename for the data transfer log file.
- Click on the Transfer button to begin the data transfer process.
Once this process is complete, the content of the .EAP model exists on the Postgre SQL repository and you can now open the repository from Enterprise Architect.
escape_string_warning = off