Generate RTF Documents
Creating a Rich Text Format (RTF) document is a simple and flexible process. An RTF document is based on a package or an element in your project (more usually a package). To produce a document, you must select the package or element to report on in the Project Browser, Element List or Model Search.
Reports can be configured to include all packages within a parent package, or just the top level.
You should also set the diagram properties to determine how the diagrams in the package are set out in the RTF document. When you have prepared and selected your package, use the context menu to open the Generate RTF Documentation dialog and configure the details of your document. The next topic guides you through creating a rich text report.
Open the Generate RTF Documentation Dialog
Use one of the following methods:
- Select the Project | Documentation | Rich Text Format (RTF) Report menu option
- In the Project Browser, right-click on the required package and, on the context menu, select the Documentation | Rich Text Format (RTF) Report menu option
- In the Project Browser or a diagram, click on the required package or element and press [F8]
- In a diagram, click on a specific element and select the Element | Rich Text Format (RTF) Report menu option
- In the Element List or Model Search, select one or more items, right-click and, from the context menu, select either the RTF Report | Generate report for each selected object option or the RTF Report | Generate one report for all selected option.
See the Generate RTF Documentation Dialog topic for more information.
To generate and view an example RTF report right now, follow the steps below:
- Open the EAExample project.
- Open the QA Model package and right-click on the Testing package.
- Select the Documentation | Rich Text Format (RTF) Report context menu option. The Generate RTF Documentation dialog displays.
- In the Output to file field, select a convenient file location in which to hold the generated report.
- In the Use Template field, click on the drop-down arrow and select (basic template).
- Click on the Generate button.
- When the report has been generated, click on the View button.
Generate RTF Report From Element List or Model Search
When you select to create an RTF Report from the Element List or Model Search tools, you can generate an element-level report rather than a package-level report, and you have additional flexibility in selecting:
- The type of element to report on
- The specific elements to report on, together or separately, whether in the same package or not.
For example, you might want to find all elements with test cases, with the intention of reporting on some or possibly all such elements. With the Element List, you would identify these elements yourself within the list of all elements in a selected package, but with the Model Search you could specifically identify the elements across a section of the model or across the whole model, as required. The search filtering could be for specific test cases; however, the results are by element so if there are test cases outside the range in any element that has a filtered test, these elements are listed as well.
Having generated the list of elements, you can select individual elements, blocks of elements, or all elements, and then (as above) use the context menu to generate a report on all of the elements, or separate reports on each element.