User-Defined Section Numbering
You might want to define the numbering format for the section levels in your generated RTF document.
1. Package level 1
1.1 Package level 2 (child package)
1.1.1 Element Level 1
18.104.22.168 Element (child element)
To define the numbering format you first create a numbering list and then create a set of list overrides for this list. The overrides must also have the initial 1.0.0 setting altered to 1.1.1. You can then apply the numbering list to the headings set for packages and elements, using paragraph numbering.
To define the numbering format, follow the steps below.
- In the Template Editor, select the Edit | List and Overrides | Create List Item menu option. The List Properties dialog displays.
- In the List Name field, type a name for the list. Click on the OK button to close the dialog.
- Select the Edit | List and Overrides | Create List Override menu option. The List Override Properties dialog displays.
- In the List to Override field, type or select the name of the list you have just created. Click on the OK button to close the dialog.
- To set the list level properties for each level, select the Edit | List and Overrides | Edit List Level menu option. The List Level Properties dialog displays.
- To set the first level numbering (used in the Package Section), select the List override radio button and type or select the list override item you have just created.
- Ensure that the List Level field is set to 1 (for Packages) and the Number text field is set to ~1~. Click on the OK button to save the values and close the dialog.
- Open the dialog again (Edit | List and Overrides | Edit List Level) and set:
- List Level to 2 (for the Element Section or Child Package Section, for example)
- Start at to 1 (to ensure that numbering at this level begins at 1.1 rather than 1.0).
- Click on the OK button to close the dialog and save the changes.
- Repeat steps 5 to 9 as required, incrementing the list level number and resetting Start at to 1 each time.
To apply the numbering levels you have defined (above), follow the steps below:
- In the Content window of the Template Editor, select the first item of text to be numbered (for example, Package).
- Set the text style, using the style drop-down field in the Template Editor toolbar.
- Click on the Paragraph | List Numbering menu option. The Apply paragraph numbering using Lists dialog displays.
- Select the required Numbering List and Override, and set the Level field to the required level (1, for the top level). Click on the OK button to close the dialog, and check that the required level has been applied to the selected text.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 for the next level (Element), but at step 4 change the Level field to 2.
- Continue applying the overrides for lower section levels as necessary, then save the template and generate your RTF report. The output should now resemble the following example: