Code Editor Context Menu
When working on a file with a code editor, you can access a number of options through the context menu. Right-click on a text string to display the menu.
The first six context menu options provide simple editing functions. Other options on the menu can vary depending on which editor you are using, but should include most or all of the following:
- Search for '<string>' - Displays a submenu that enables you to locate the search string in a range of locations:
- Find in Project Browser finds the object containing the selected text in the Project Browser
- Go to Declaration locates the declaration of a symbol in the source code
- Go to Definition locates the definition of a symbol in the source code (applicable to languages where symbols are declared and defined in separate places e.g. C++, Delphi)
- Search in Open Files opens the Execution Analyzer File Search facility, then searches for the selected text string in other code files of the same type and in the same folder as the current file that are open, displaying the results in Tree View; you can change the folder path, search text and file type as required within the File Search window
- Search in Files performs the same search as Search in Open Files, except that the search is in all comparable files whether they are open or not
- Search in Model performs an Element Name search in the Model Search facility, and displays the results on the Model Search tab
- EA User Guide displays the description of the code item in the EA User Guide
- Google displays the results of a search on the text from a Google search
- MSDN displays the results of a search on the text in the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN)
- Sun Java SE displays the results of a search on the text in the Sun Microsystems 'Sun Search' facility
- Wikipedia displays any entry on the object on the Wikipedia web site.
- Koders displays the results of the search for the text string on Koders.com
The options in the lower half of the menu (after Search in Model) are configurable. You can add new search tools or remove existing ones by editing the searchProviders.xml file in the Sparx Systems > EA > Config folder. This file is in OpenSearch description document format.
- Open (Close) IME - opens the Input Method Editor to enable you to enter text in your selected foreign language script (such as Japanese); you set the keyboard language using the Windows Control Panel - Regional and Language Options facility
- Line Numbers - shows or hides the line numbers against the lines of code
- Structure Tree - (in the Source Code viewer only) shows or hides the element hierarchy panel
- Set Debugger to Line - (if the debugger is executing and has reached a breakpoint) moves the execution point to the current line; ensure that you do not skip over any code or declarations that affect the next section of code being debugged
- Display Variable - (if the debugger is executing) opens the Locals window and highlights the local variable for the current point in the code.
If you select the Search for '<string>' context menu option while working in the Script Editor, a slightly different submenu displays:
The Search in Scripts option opens the Execution Analyzer File Search facility, setting the Search Path field to Search in Scripts and the Search Text field to the selected text, then searching all scripts for the text string and displaying the results of the search in Tree View.