Work with MDG Technologies
Any MDG Technology listed on the MDG Technologies dialog can be enabled, which makes their interface profiles and Toolbox pages available for your use.
MDG Technology Toolbox Pages
When you enable an MDG Technology, any Technology-specific diagram types are added to the New Diagram dialog lists, and the Technology's Toolbox pages are added to those available through the More tools menus in the Toolbox
If you set the MDG Technology to Active, its Toolbox pages override any parallel Enterprise Architect Toolbox pages; for example, the ICONIX Class pages would override the Enterprise Architect Class pages
You create Technology-specific diagrams and populate them with elements and connectors in the same way as for standard Enterprise Architect diagrams
The Resources Window
A method of importing MDG Technologies into the Resources window is available (click on the MDG Technologies folder and select the Import Technology option) but this method is Not Recommended
If you use this method, the MDG Technology is available only in the model it was imported into, and the Toolbox pages, Learning Center, Project Browser icons and model templates are not available
It is recommended that you instead create or download new technologies into the %APPDATA% folder or the Enterprise Architect installation directory, or use new technologies from remote file locations and web sites
However, you might previously have imported technologies into the Resources window, and these are still available until you specifically delete them (right-click on the technology and select the Delete Technology context menu option)
The following information is provided to support implementations where technologies have been previously imported via the Resources window.
The Resources window (View | More Project Tools | Project Resources) displays a tree structure containing nodes such as imported MDG Technologies, Templates, Documents, Stylesheets, Matrix profiles and UML Profiles.
MDG Technologies can bundle the functionality provided by UML Profiles, UML Patterns, Code Templates and Model Types.
Profiles contained in MDG Technologies are applied to:
- Elements such as Classes and Interfaces, which are dragged directly from the Toolbox or the Resources window to the current diagram
- Attributes, which are dragged over a host element (such as a Class) to be automatically added to the element feature list
- Operations which, like Attributes, are dragged over a host element to add the operation
- Connectors such as Association, Generalization, and Dependency, which are added by selecting them in the Toolbox or Resources window, then clicking on the source element in a diagram and dragging to the target element (in the same way as adding normal connectors); the connector is added with the new stereotype and Tagged Value information
- Association Ends, which are added by dragging the connector end element over the end of an Association in the diagram
Patterns contained in MDG Technologies are used to:
- Enable reuse in a model
- Build in robustness
Code Templates are used to:
- Specify the transformation from UML elements into various parts of a given programming language
Model Types are used to:
- Define the data types for the model