A generalization set enables you to specify the relationship of a group of subtypes.
To create a generalization set, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the connector. The context menu displays.
- Select the Advanced | Generalization Set | New menu option. The following dialog displays.
- In the Name field, type the name of the Generalization set; for example, Gender.
- In the Power Type field, either type a new power type, or click on the drop-down arrow or browser button [ ... ] and select an existing one from the Select <Item> dialog.
- Check the IsMember column for the child subtypes that are part of this Generalization set.
The OMG UML specification (UML Superstructure Specification, v2.1.1, section 7.3.21, p. 77) states:
Each Generalization is a binary relationship that relates a specific Classifier to a more general Classifier (e.g. from a class to its superclasses). Each GeneralizationSet defines a particular set of Generalization relationships that describe the way in which a general Classifier (or superclass) may be divided using specific subtypes.