Author Topic: model size limitation  (Read 1269 times)

mkroumer

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
model size limitation
« on: December 16, 2001, 06:54:55 pm »
Hi all,

The model for the project I'm working on is rapidly increasing in size, it is up to 7MB now. Closer to the end of the project, the model may occupy 15-20MB, according to our estimates. Do you have any idea whether the model size can be an issue for us? Re-phrasing the question, can MS Access cope with large files?

Rgds,
Michael

sparks

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: model size limitation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2001, 01:13:08 am »
Hello,

In short, Yes MS Access can cope with large files (within limits of course).  We have seen MS access files (not EA projects) over 100Mb in size and still working correctly.  Personally the largest EA project we have work with was about 30Mb, with no noticeable loss in speed.

I don't know how familiar you are with MS Access, but just in case.  It is a good idea to compact any MS Access database periodically just to remove any unused space.  EA has a 'Compact Project' menu item under Admin.  Just make sure you backup the file before doing the compact, just to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Paul Mathers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2001, 01:15:24 am by sparks »

James

Re: model size limitation
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2001, 03:27:16 am »
I'm evaluating EA as a potential tool to help with a large systems replacement project.  To assist me in scaling estimated, could you please let me know how big in terms of  # of Packages/Objects etc your 'big' model is? (Project/Project Statistics on the toolbar gives some numbers)

mkroumer

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: packages and objects
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2001, 12:50:48 pm »
The model snapshot shows the number of packages is 1311, and the number of objects is 6537.