Author Topic: Visual Foxpro support?  (Read 1411 times)

sparks

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Visual Foxpro support?
« on: February 18, 2002, 03:09:47 am »
This message was incorrect posted to the 'Future Plans' board.  It was originally posted on the 13-Feb-02 6:34pm by sjg0526.

Any plans to provide support for Visual Foxpro?  I know many in the development community who would love this.  :)

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Foxpro support?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2002, 10:37:40 am »
Hi.

Many??  I think with the C# and .net paltform, the xBase stuff are going to the sideline.   Since MS bought Fox, Borland bought Ashton-Tate, and CA bought Clipper/Visual Objects, the dBase wars seem almost over.   Moreover, and this is just personal conjecture, I don't think there are that many "modelers" developing in those languages.   This would mean a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

For what it is worth, you can get to the models (the EAP files) and write your own code generator or report writer for example.   I picked up a library for the Jet support for CA-Visual Objects and just started to look at customized report writers and code generators for EA.

So, I guess what I'm suggesting is that the architecture to EA is VERY open and for those languages, such as those xBase ones, we can add all the support we need for it.

That's just an opinion, by the way :)

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Straley