Author Topic: Problem sharing projects on a network share.  (Read 1541 times)

Anders

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Problem sharing projects on a network share.
« on: October 02, 2002, 07:53:32 am »
Hi,
We are several EA users trying to work against an EA project. We have done as they say in the help file:
“Using a shared network directory. In this scenario you place the project file on a shred network drive, then individual developers and analysts can open the project concurrently and work on it. Note that some project views (especially the project browser) will require occasional refreshing to see changes made by other users.”

We have experienced that we got some kind of deadlock in the database. (Fatal Error: Unrecognized database format). We are 5 people working simultaneously and lose data every time.

Are there any of you out there who have had the same experience?
???
Anders

sparks

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Problem sharing projects on a network share.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 05:18:02 am »
Hello,

{The following is the response that Sparx responded to Ander's with via email}

In  95% or more of cases the 'Unrecognized Database Format' error simply means a client has disconnected from the model file unexpectedly. This can happen if:

1. The network connection is lost
2. The client application crashes
3. The client computer shuts down unexpectedly
4. Someone turns their PC off while EA is still running

The error generally means that a flag is set in the model file that inidcates an unexpected termination - the repair process only resets this one flag.

In  rare  cases,  a field may be corrupted - and accessing this field repeatedly will cause an exception ... but this is not common.

I  have  noticed  over the years that it is often a single PC or notebook with a 'flakey' connection that causes the problem - but it is hard to pin down.

The following knowledge base article (from Microsoft) describes how to care for JET databases  ...  there  are  some  tips in it you may wish to consider - and some
references  to  other  articles  on the same topic. There are also some tips for configuring the server on which the model file resides.
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q303528&

I  have also seen problems when the model file is stored on a UNIX based network server ... what file server OS are you using?

Are  you using JET 4.0? EA can be configured to do that on the main View/Options screen  -  but all your users whould be configured for JET 4.0 at the same time, and ideally the model file upgraded to Access 2002 format. Please check that all users are on the same level.

JET  4.0  is  generally  considered  more  reliable than 3.5 and you may wish to consider upgrading the model file and your clients to JET 4.0.

We  are  just  now  releasing  the  BETA  version  of  EA 3.5 - which includes a 'Coporate  Edition' of EA that supports a MySQL or SQL Server repository instead of JET. The final version will be out by the end of this month if all goes well.
This  may  be  an  option  to  consider  (the upgrade price from Professional to Coporate  will  be  something  like  20$ a license).  If you want to try the beta version, let me know.

Best regards,
Geoffrey Sparks

Rob Lewis

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 02:14:51 pm »
We have recently started using Enterprise Architect for a major project here, with 9 people sharing access to the repository. Last night, we got this unrecognized format error.

I have checked the database using Access 2000, and Access offered to repair it, repaired it ok, then opened it, and all appeared to be well. (I didn't convert it though!)

Enterprise Architect still refuses to open it though.

Any thoughts?

Rob

Sydac Pty.

Rob Lewis

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 02:15:09 pm »
We have recently started using Enterprise Architect for a major project here, with 9 people sharing access to the repository. Last night, we got this unrecognized format error.

I have checked the database using Access 2000, and Access offered to repair it, repaired it ok, then opened it, and all appeared to be well. (I didn't convert it though!)

Enterprise Architect still refuses to open it though.

Any thoughts?

Rob

Sydac Pty.

Anders Gustafsson

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 11:23:39 pm »
Hi Rob

I received this answer a time a go.

“If  you have experienced a couple of corruptions with the same model file, it is generally wise to use the 'Remove Replication' Admin menu function on the model. This  actually copies all the data from the source model into a new model file - so if there is any problem with the model file itself, the error is corrected in the copy.

Have  a  look  at the help on Remove Replication. Make sure you select a 'clean' model  file (eg. a copy of EABase.EAP) as the file to copy into (all information in  the  target  will be wiped first). As the copy proceeds, any corrupt records are skipped.

Make sure you back up your models first.”

It worked for me.
/Anders