Author Topic: Question - .NET framework classes  (Read 8690 times)

Isaac Citrom

Re: Question - .NET framework classes
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2003, 06:56:53 am »
Hello all.

I am evaluating Enterprise Architect this week for use in our department.  From a 20 minute cursory inspection of the web site, it looks very impressive.  I'm quite excited about EA making an excellent replacement for Rose or XDE at one twentieth the cost per seat.

Reading this thread, I just wanted to add a word about the .NET libraries.

The Base Class Library (and this is a very informal term) includes all of the namespaces delivered by Microsoft with the framework.  So that includes, for example, the ADO.NET-related namespaces, such as System.Data and System.Data.SqlClient; the ASP.NET-related namespaces, such as System.Web.UI; etc.

Because the .NET framework is language agnostic, there is the notion of the Common Language Specification (CLS).  If you have a language in hand and want it to live in the .NET world, you must write your compiler so that it abides by the CLS.

Part of the CLS is the notion of the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI).  This is the base infrastructure that is required by your language implementation.  It includes the primitive types such as Int32.  In other words, we all know that any language implementation cannot exist solely on its syntax.  There must be some base abstractions on which to build.  Perhaps this is where the word "base" came into the picture.  In Microsoft's implementation of VB.NET, Int32 maps to the language key word Integer.

This base infrastructure maps to the ogical construct of the namespace System and is implemented in System.dll.  I took a look at the Xml file in question, and it looks like it is just about that.

For EA to really be of use during OOA&D, I believe we need the whole base class library; of course, each namespace in its own package.  I'll be evaluating EA this week.  I hope this task progresses.  If I recommend that we adopt EA, I will certainly want the base class library as part of our models.  If it hasn't been done, I'll create them using Reflection and export the information out to Xml or some other useful (to EA) format and post it here.

That said, Sparx Systems, is an upcoming version of EA to have this ready-made?  I would hate to go through the effort and finish just in time for it to be delivered on a silver platter by Sparx.

Isaac Citrom

Ian Turner

• EA Novice
  • Crumbs Chief!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2003, 08:31:41 am »
Hi,

I've written a quick WinForms app that can export .NET Assemblies in the format used by the EA importer.

http://iturner100.brinkster.net/freebies/Genista29.DotnetExporterForEA.Installer.zip

It constains an msi that installs the app and the source code as well, so you can fix / change it however you want. It's had hardly any testing but should work ok...

It was built on .NET 1.1 but doesn't use anything that can't be done with .NET 1.0.

There is no help so... The main form is a tree view with Library Nodes and Assembly Nodes. The library nodes will become the basic packages in EA. So, by default you get a single library (.NET Framework) with some of the standard assemblies under that.

You can add libraries and assemblies, rename libraries, drag and drop assemblies and delete libraries and assemblies.

Once you've set up the tree, you can generate the XML file - it can take a little while if you've added lots of assemblies.

It will prompt for where you want to save the generated xml.

Hope it helps all the .NETers out there!

Cheers
Ian

jkaczor

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2003, 02:03:53 am »
This looks good, but one question - did you install/build the setup program & utility with the .NET Framework 1.1 release, or the beta?

I've just tried installing 1.1 RTM available online, and still get an error message when I attempt to install your MSI.

Ian Turner

• EA Novice
  • Crumbs Chief!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2003, 02:13:49 am »
It is version 1.1.4322 which I assumed was the RTM release when I got it from the MSDN subscription. What is the error, anyway?

jkaczor

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 02:22:12 am »
The exact error reads:

"This setup requires the .NET Framework version 1.1.4322.  Please install the .NET Framework and run this setup again.  The .NET Framework can be obtained from the web.  Would you like to do this now?"
Yes or No.

No exits, Yes takes me to:

"This Page Has Moved

We apologize for the inconvenience, but The URL you are trying to reach, http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads.default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/002/055/msdncompositedoc.xml, has been moved from this location. You will be redirected to the new location in 5 seconds. Please update any bookmarks.
Thanks, The MSDN Team."

So, that's why I was inclined to think it was not the RTM version.

tborland

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 10:52:26 am »
I've successfully downloaded and installed the ".NET Class Library Exporter for EA" but I'm running into some difficulty using it.

I manually added a new Library and then added assemblies under that library.

That all works fine, but when I attempt to export the assemblies that I added, I get the entire .NET library in the XML file.

Is this a bug in the Exporter, or am I using it incorrectly? Please let me know.

By the way, I love that tool and would like to see it take on a life of it's own!

Tim

Ian Turner

• EA Novice
  • Crumbs Chief!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2003, 01:22:13 am »
You probably need to remove the default library branch of the tree. Xml will be generated for whatever is in the tree, not just individual libraries. (The libraries are there just so that you can seperate the packages a bit in EA).

By the way, I've done a bit more testing and there are two problems with the Exporter tool. The first is that Interfaces are being imported as normal classes, and the second is that some of the modifiers (abstract, static etc.) are not being set.

I'm working on getting these fixed and a new version uploaded (hopefully within the next day or two).

Cheers
Ian

Ian Turner

• EA Novice
  • Crumbs Chief!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2003, 05:24:53 am »
A slightly updated version of the .NET Exporter has been uploaded. This correctly exports the xml for interfaces and access modifiers. It should also install without requiring .NET 1.1

Cheers
Ian

DaveEchols

• EA Novice
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2003, 05:59:20 pm »
Couple of questions on the XML generator you have written. I have both 1.0 and 1.1 frameworks installed on my system. Which one is your utility reading and generating an XML file for? Also, there are many other assemblies included with the framework that are not listed with the standard ones you have included by default. Would it be possible to include all assemblies on a given system, with checkboxes or multiselect capability available in the treeview for selecting which ones to generate?

jeremy.bunn

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2003, 07:25:34 am »
Can someone email or post the dot net EA exporter?  It sounds like exactly what we need, but the link is broken above....

Thanks!

Ian Turner

• EA Novice
  • Crumbs Chief!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2003, 09:30:39 am »
It's not hosted anywhere at the moment - I can mail it to you if you like...

Sean Kearon

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2003, 03:49:12 am »
Hello Ian

I would like a copy too, please feel free to email it to me when you get a chance.

Thanks

Sean

Ian Turner

• EA Novice
  • Crumbs Chief!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2003, 03:54:33 am »
OK. Anyone who wants a copy emailed to them, can you email me at i.turner@syzygy.net and I'll mail you back...

The installer will also give you the source code so feel free to muck about with it as much as possible.

I'm too busy with work to do any more on it, I'm afraid. If someone wants to take up ownership / hosting, you are more than welcome.

Cheers
Ian

Darren Lock

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2003, 08:28:59 am »
I placed Ian's utility at Darren's Garage http://www.darrensgarage.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=64 for download.

If anybody modifies this then they are more than welcome to send me the updated file.
Darren Lock
United Kingdom

AdamHearn

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Another site is 'down'
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2003, 02:43:54 am »
My site is always up and running... what's the betting of it being true when someone tries to grab the file ::)

Go grab the file from here