Author Topic: crossroad  (Read 749 times)

2bOrNot2b

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
crossroad
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:55:57 am »
Hi. I'm on a crossroad of deciding to persue Enterprise Architecture or continue to be a Developer.

Has anyone been in this position b4? I'd love to hear success stories of those who switched from Web Development to Enterprise Architecture.

Thanks.

thomaskilian

Re: crossroad
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:45:02 am »
Hi 42,
it's already a couple of years ago and it wasn't EA, but I did this step before. In short: I do not regret! Modelling is much more fun than programming  8)

The easiest start for you would be to reverse engineer some source and work with the result.

Have fun  :)

2bOrNot2b

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:48:24 am »
wow! Thanks! That is quite inspiring.

JourneymanDave

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 01:01:27 pm »
When you say "Enterprise" Architect, you realize that includes domains of expertise outside of technology, right?  Just making sure you're considering the requirement for business process and information architecture in addition to the technology end.  

Also, within the technology domain, you'll also need to provide coverage as an Enterprise Architect for areas significantly outside of development.  Off the top of my head, this would include the Infrastructure, Security, Storage, Management & Monitoring, and Configuration areas.  

I'd recommend you check out a couple of sources for a view of what's involved at the enterprise.  Try the Zachman Framework at www.zifa.com and TOGAF at www.togaf.org.  A couple of books that have some relevance are "A Practical Guide to Enterprise Architecture" <McGovern, Ambler, et al, ISBN: 0-13-141275-2> and "Enterprise System Architectures" <Goodyear, ISBN: 0-8493-9836-3>.

It's very possible that's what you want.  And it's very possible that you really want to pursue an architecture career within a technology area instead.   In the latter is the case, you don't want to bill yourself as an Enterprise Architect.  This could lead to some interesting interviews.

PS - Sparx's Enterprise Architect, as a point of reference, is a fabulous modeling and code engineering tool, but isn't very comprehensive as an "enterprise" scale tool.  I think the name's a bit optimistic for that and the UML, while helpful, isn't enough to capture everything in the enterprise.  To be fair too though, there aren't very many tools that truly deal at an enterprise level; and none that I know of anywhere *close* to EA's price range.

JourneymanDave

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 01:05:58 pm »
Oh, and let me clarify one thing:

I wasn't trying to say that Sparx's Enterprise Architect product isn't suitable for use in a full-on enterprise setting (In fact, I'm actually promoting it that way within some of my clients).  

I guess what I meant to say was that what it does well is not "enterprise" is scope.  

Maybe that'll keep me from getting kicked off the forum, or flamed, eh?   ;)