Author Topic: EA 6.0 (beta)  (Read 4097 times)

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: EA 6.0 (beta)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 01:22:58 pm »
I'm getting used to the search and report screen,  not bad  8)
I have retracted prior negative comment.

I've certainly found it useful.  Even if there is a bit of a steep learning curve in the advanced mode.

It would appear from a quick look that there are no changes to the Database.  Is this correct?

Is it therefore possible to intermix usage of a v5.0 file with the v6 Beta?

Yes, it should be possible.  Although as said in the announcement it should not be used with production models or on production machines.

The new (default?) Class layout, with the Attributes grouped by stereotype is good, BUT the stereotypes need the « and  »  guillemets around them to clearly indicate they are stereotypes...

Yes, it is the default, with the options to change it being found on the Objects options page.

I've noted your preference for including the « and  », and have noted it for discussion here.  If it stays as it is, then you will be able to make your stereotypes appear that way by giving them the appropriate group name in the stereotypes dialog.  (Or as I do, give «property get», «property set», «property let» and «property» the same group name Properties.)
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

davisford

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Validation Errors - Link useful
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 01:40:35 pm »
Model validation seems to validate the entire model, not just the selected element (as implied by the "Validate Selected" option).

It would be really useful for the user to be able to double-Click on the particular error and be take to an example of the problem.  It could be done by finding the element/connector/feature in a suitable diagram.

Paolo

This works for me as expected.  I had a class diagram, and selected all, and did model validation.  It only ran on that diagram.  Surprisingly, it did give an error:

"MVR050002 - error (<anonymous>(NoteLink)): NoteLink is not legal for Constraint --> Class"

Am I crazy -- why can't you attach a constraint using a note to a class?

thomaskilian

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 02:20:57 pm »

Because it's a bug in the validation?

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Stereotypes need the guillemets
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 02:25:31 pm »
The new (default?) Class layout, with the Attributes grouped by stereotype is good, BUT the stereotypes need the « and  »  guillemets around them to clearly indicate they are stereotypes...

I have confirmed my suspicions that these were deliberately removed because they are not part of the stereotype name and they make the diagram look less clean.

Of course you will be able to manually set the group names to show this the way you desire.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Stereotypes need the guillemets
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 02:49:39 pm »
I have confirmed my suspicions that these were deliberately removed because they are not part of the stereotype name and they make the diagram look less clean.

Of course you will be able to manually set the group names to show this the way you desire.
Simon,
I don't think Sparx has the right to remove the gullemets. It is a UML 2 requirement that stereotypes are surrounded by guillemets.

The UML 2 [size=13]Superstructure[/size] Specification:
18.3.8 Stereotype (from Profiles) states:

When a stereotype is applied to a model element (an instance of a stereotype is linked to an instance of a metaclass), the name of the stereotype is shown within a pair of guillemets above or before the name of the model element. If multiple stereotypes are applied, the names of the applied stereotypes is shown as a comma-separated list with a pair of guillemets.

When the extended model element has a keyword, then the stereotype name will be displayed close to the keyword, within separate guillemets (example: «interface» «Clock»).

If it is judged that the diagram looks less "clean" then the ability to suppress the guillemets shoud be an option, but not the default.  

There are all sorts of adornments that UML uses that aren't very pretty, but we have to accept it is a standard.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 02:52:43 pm »

This works for me as expected.  I had a class diagram, and selected all, and did model validation.  It only ran on that diagram.  Surprisingly, it did give an error:

"MVR050002 - error (<anonymous>(NoteLink)): NoteLink is not legal for Constraint --> Class"

Then the option should read Validate Diagram...

I have no problem with the idea of validating only the diagram, even if I have only one element selected.  Just say so.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

thomaskilian

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 02:57:14 pm »
But EA isn't using the stereotype as "suggested" by OMG. It's a group indicator. And they don't tell us how to cope with that. Or is it forbidden to use such construct at all?

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 03:18:04 pm »
Then the option should read Validate Diagram...

Actually, he selected everything on the diagram.

When I have a single element selected on the diagram it doesn't report another error on the diagram.

So it appears to be working correctly to me.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 03:19:29 pm »
But EA isn't using the stereotype as "suggested" by OMG. It's a group indicator. And they don't tell us how to cope with that. Or is it forbidden to use such construct at all?
I understood that Thomas...  ;D

But if you are grouping by stereotype then you are grouping by stereotype.

When you display the stereotype against the feature (before it) it's far less "clean" than the new layout.  

It's inconsistent.  The textual representation of the stereotype is guillmetted (new word!).  Personally, if you've noticed, I put them in my posts.  A PITA but I think it's important.

Paolo

-Semantica-

thomaskilian

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 03:28:05 pm »
Maybe it's a "discussion about the emperors beard", like we use to say in Germany. But in that case
a stereotype is applied to a model element
doesn't seem to be true. However, I'll hush.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 03:43:25 pm »
Actually, he selected everything on the diagram.

When I have a single element selected on the diagram it doesn't report another error on the diagram.

So it appears to be working correctly to me.
Well,

Mine's going off in the wild blue yonder...

I'm using Jet4 and Windows 2003 Server (if that's of any relevance)

65 Errors and 2 warnings  Not bad for one Class!  ;D

Most of them are for Classes NOT on the diagram (but connected to Classes on the Diagram by one or more removes).

Paolo
-Semantica-

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 03:53:21 pm »
EA is just creating additional compartments to divide features.  This is allowed in the UML 2 Superstructure.

If you have a problem with the way EA is drawing these, either think of them as named compartments in which the stereotype is supressed.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 05:41:02 pm »
So where's the divider then? >:(
How do I turn this feature off.
bruce
"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 06:07:02 pm »
So where's the divider then? >:(
How do I turn this feature off.

On the objects page of the Local Options dialog (Tools | Options) uncheck the two bottom right check boxes. (Group Operations by Stereotype and Group Attributes by Stereotype)
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 09:14:16 pm »
>>> Local Options dialog (Tools | Options) Objects tab uncheck the two bottom right check boxes. (Group Operations by Stereotype and Group Attributes by Stereotype)

But thanks Simon, I was looking in the diagram options (both in the diagram itself and in local options.

bruce
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:15:20 pm by sargasso »
"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.