Author Topic: "Anonymous" message senders  (Read 864 times)

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
"Anonymous" message senders
« on: June 24, 2004, 04:46:22 pm »
This is related to other threads here about sequence and communication (collaboration) messages.

Often there is a need to model an incoming message that is received by an object that was sent by the "some other unidentified object in the system", for example an event signal.  Similarly, sometimes there is a need to show a message sent to "any object that is listening".

In sequence (sorry ... "interaction") models we now have the concept of Lost and Found messages, that can be drawn as originating or ending on MessageEndpoint elements.  Fine and dandy.

I now have a need to do the same sort of modelling in a collaboration (dammit ... "communication") model.  However, I cannot associate the MessageEndpoint element to the target object in these diagrams - "The requested connection is not UML compliant".

So, has anyone found a good way to model these Found (and Lost) messages in the communication diagrams?

tia
Bruce

(Sample scenario:
We are trying to structure an industrial controller type of device that responds to an, as yet, unknown set of stimuli.  The controller "controls" a set of client objects (known).  We are at the early stage of design where the needed attributes and methods (event handlers) of the controller are unkown and are looking at specific real world instances (hence the communication models).  There are quite a lot of instances and there are quite a lot of stimulating objects (signallers),each with widely varying characteristics and capabilities.  I dont want to have to build a huge model containing each signaller as I dont care aboiut them particulalry.  i do care about the signals they send - we want to quickly capture all the signals and the signal parameters so we can generalise and simplify them.)
"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.

ArtekC

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: "Anonymous" message senders
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 11:52:47 am »
Hello,

Same question for a message I want to initiate from an actor to an object in a communication diagram. You first have to add an association between the two but *bump*... "The requested connection is not UML compliant"
Great. The only solution so far: uncheck "Strcit UML Syntax" in Tools/Options/Diagram, now draw your association, then check it back on.
Gotta find a way to macro this...

Hope this helps!
David

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 04:43:26 pm »
I'll get a fix done - if not in time for the next release then the one after. Until then, as you said, unchecking "Strict UML Syntax" is the work-around...
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

ArtekC

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 12:56:59 am »
Many thanks for this!
David