Author Topic: Was I helpful Yes No Thumbs  (Read 3038 times)

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Was I helpful Yes No Thumbs
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 10:15:21 pm »
I wonder how many of the members know this?  I know that I did not understand Karma nor Starshine in this forum's context nor the importance of voting Yes or No to help one to ascertain a level of credibility in advice received from others in the forum.  

As Paolo says: Consistency, Consistency, Consistency;
I say: Communicate, Communicate, Communicate.

How do we get the word out on this?  :-/
Well Jim (et al),

See my posts above for some opinions on the level of awareness and information that's been made available to date. Jim and Thomas (M-H), you've shaken loose more than has been said since the new system started.

As to the parenthetical comment in Roy's second last paragraph - please keep in mind that this is a [i[personal[/i] opinion - I really had not noticed any evidence of this in the discussions I had with Sparx on this matter. Make of that what you may; I decided to read it as indifference, and respond in kind.

David
No, you can't have it!

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 02:15:09 am »
And, perhaps more to the point ... how does one get people to care enough to bother to record a vote.  The virtue of the prior system was that it required no effort on the part of anyone.  While it may not have been a true measure of merit, it did at least give one some sense of who has been around and contributing.  The new system has two big flaws, despite its seeming virtue of being merit based.  One is that people just don't consistently bother to register a vote.  The other is that it is subject to abuse.  If one person gets ticked off at another person, it is very easy to simply register a negative vote on every post for no particular reason.  Perhaps that is what is happening with that regular poster that was mentioned.  If such a person is consistent, their votes are likely to accumulate significantly compared to the apathetic responses of others.

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 03:55:06 am »
 exactly! My thoughts too Thomas..
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 04:11:54 am »
Does that mean that I got a positive vote? :)

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 04:29:02 am »
Yes, and Jim too. At least from me.
No, you can't have it!

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 04:35:55 am »
I can't say that I can detect any more glow...

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 04:39:48 am »
Perhaps it is all internal, as in to "feel a warm glow." My guess it is more like the old joke about a dark suit.
No, you can't have it!

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:15 am »
Well, they have one thing under control.  Even though you made several posts (in this thread) to which I tried to vote Yes, I got a message that I must wait 60+ mins before I give you another vote.

As far as seeing increased stare shine, you need a higher resolution monitor I think.  Looks like like the range is  ( -500 or 0? ) to 500;  one vote won't do much I think.

I think I'll not let my star shine be a factor in my self worth anymore.  With 2.5 stars, I've faded from guru to average.  Nor will I let it be a source of pride and reward for participating in the forum either.  Instead, I'll measure the value that Sparx places on my contributions by the number of my recomendations and requests they implement within their product (which in two years here, hasn't been much).  
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 05:26:38 am »
Well, given that I am running at 1856x1392 now, I'm not sure what kind of monitor I would need!

And yeah, with a range like that, an indicator with only 5 lights isn't going to show much.

Frankly, neither the old system or the new one has a lot to do with worth.  I've noticed on other boards that have some kind of karma mechanism that a lot of the votes which get made seem to come from newbies asking simple questions who then reward the person who gives them the simple answer.  But, the person who raises some important thorny question or who participates in such a discussion, never gets the vote.

Doesn't mean that it isn't clear to anyone who hangs around for a while who the real stars are.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 05:53:27 am »
I agree with both of you. But Jim's point is well taken. It can be a real pain to put something into a forum such as this long enough to be recognized, then to (effectively) start over.

As one of the other posts in this thread indicated there is another frequent poster who seems to have gotten a particularly raw deal from this 'improvement.' And yet few have done as much to move the quality of EA forward. Somehow this does not send the right signal.

David
No, you can't have it!

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 06:12:54 am »
The startover aspect is certainly problematic.  While it might be "fair" going forward because it starts us all equally, it is unfair in that it discards years of contributions.

Instead of considering 2.5 stars as neutral, it might have been more appropriate to think in terms of 1 to 5 stars with the starting point being zero.  Then, one might have translated the old categories into stars as a starting point.  Then, one could get positive and negative ratings to go up or down from there.  Yes, that would mean those few with thousands of post would start off with 5 stars, but I don't know that I would find that inappropriate.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 07:27:24 am »
Still, seems a moot point now.
No, you can't have it!

thomas.kilian

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 08:01:54 pm »
As said before: in my next life. Still think that there are good discussions going on here. Hope that the two most important peope b and pc will continue posting here. There's quite a big posting gap...

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 10:08:53 pm »
And more, but that's a discussion we've already had.

There was some really good 'yeast' here. Over the years - I 'lurked' for some time before becoming involved - a few solid contributors have faded out, but a solid core of [what was that word for an expert teacher, I just cannot picture it here anymore] combined with newer arrivals kept things interesting.

But the recent hits we've taken in participation concern me. Recovery seems at best problematic.

But wait; perhaps this is not so bad. At least forum members will still have a place to talk about things. Certainly that will be enough for most.
No, you can't have it!

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 09:16:49 am »
But the recent hits we've taken in participation concern me.
The forum usage statistics suggest the reverse: before the upgrade, averaging 32 posts per day; since the upgrade, averaging 48 posts per day. That is a significant increase.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com