Author Topic: BPMN tagged values and associated classifiers  (Read 317 times)

A. Betts

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
BPMN tagged values and associated classifiers
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:25:02 pm »
Hi,
    I've been experimenting with BPMN modeling within EA and have been trying to set some of the tagged values on activities such as WebService, InMessage, OutMessage etc. These types are associated with classifiers but I can never seem to get any types to populate the selection list. I've created WSDL's with message type, schemas etc. but none of these ever appear in the classifier selection list for these tagged values.

I therefore have two questions:
* What filters are on the classifier for these tagged values?
* How do I see the definition of built in tagged values so that if not documented I can at least understand what they are looking for (BPMN related or not)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ashley

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN tagged values and associated classifiers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »
The built in tagged values - the ones you will see in the drop-down list on the Properties dialog - relate to the extended attributes (for lack of a better term) defined in the BPMN 1.0, or OMG 1.1 (note that) specification.

As the new BPMN specification crystallizes EA will (apparently) be updated to handle that. Perhaps the tagged values will be more 'inclusive' then. Sparx has unofficially indicated (via a recent forum posting) that this will (likely) be in the next "major version" of EA. Note that this is not a guarantee.

If you want to add additional tagged values or stereotypes to an element (BPMN or otherwise) you can do so. Use the Tagged Values window or click the [...] button next to the stereotype drop-down on the element properties window. [Note that with profile elements (BPMN elements fall into this category) stereotypes may be restricted in some ways. You'll have to experiment.]

HTH, David
No, you can't have it!

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN tagged values and associated classifiers
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:56:43 am »
* What filters are on the classifier for these tagged values?
The ones that you mention: InMessage and OutMessage show elements with the «Message» stereotype; WebService shows elements with the «WebService» stereotype. Both can be created from the "BPMN Types" toolbox page.

* How do I see the definition of built in tagged values so that if not documented I can at least understand what they are looking for (BPMN related or not)?
Look in the XML. For the BPMN technology, this will be (by default) at C:\Program Files\Sparx Systems\EA\MDGTechnologies\BPMN Technology.xml. Open it in a text editor and search for the tag name, and you will find something like this:

Code: [Select]
<TaggedValueTypes>
      <TaggedValueType property="OutMessage" description="" notes="Type=RefGUID;Stereotypes=Message;"/>
      <TaggedValueType property="InMessage" description="" notes="Type=RefGUID;Stereotypes=Message;"/>
      <TaggedValueType property="WebService" description="" notes="Type=RefGUID;Stereotypes=WebService;"/>
</TaggedValueTypes>
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:58:41 am by KP »
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com