Author Topic: "Bulk" Check Out possible?  (Read 827 times)

floerio

• EA User
    • View Profile
"Bulk" Check Out possible?
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »
Hi!

Is there a possibility to check out more than only one version controlled package at a time? Like the "Check In Branch"?

I have to check out several packages at one time and it takes quite some time for each package. So a "Mark and Check Out" funtion would be nice.

Is there something like this and I missed it?

Cheers,
   Oliver

dataghost

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: "Bulk" Check Out possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:47:58 pm »
I would also like to do this. I have tried several different ways but not found a solution.

Thanks for any help

DG

floerio

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:52:14 pm »
Hi,

if using at least SVN a colleague told me the trick: Stop EA. Then check out with SVN via command line (or Tortoise etc.). Then start the EA again.

The packages are then marked as unlocked. They can be edited and checked in via the EA command.

Regards,
    Oliver

Frank Horn

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:11:51 am »
Stop EA. Then check out with SVN via command line (or Tortoise etc.). Then start the EA again.

With Tortoise it's 1. Update and 2. Get Lock.

But be sure only do do this when you're 100% sure no one has changed the packages since you last edited them. Otherwise EA will not import the changes into your local copy (cause you checked out behind it's back), and when you then edit the packages and check in, your colleagues' changes will be discarded (in the SVN repository!) without mercy. So better use your versions control's diff tool beforehand to check if anything has changed.

EA's version control integration has some severe gaps (like the one we're talking about here, or the lack of support for tagging and branching), so working behind it's back can sometimes be close to a necessity. But you have to be extremely careful if you don't want to risk losing data.

floerio

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:04:16 pm »
Hi Frank,

I do not understand exactly what the risk with the procedure is:

If I make an update and then lock the XML file, how can it be that behind my back a colleague can either do a checkout or checkin?  If the file was already locked by a colleague, I would not get the lock at all (just tested it today). And if I got the lock therefore every subsequent tries by others to lock the file would fail.

So regardless if I let EA use the SVN to lock the files or I do it by myself, the result should be the same: The file is locked.

Did I miss something?

Oliver

Frank Horn

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:48:02 pm »
Oliver,

what I mean is this:

1. A creates a package, configures it for version control, checks it in and goes home.
2. B checks it out, modifies it and checks it in.
3. A comes back an does not know that B has modified the package.

Now if A checks it out from EA, EA will first update A's local working copy (i.e. the xmi file) from the repositiory, optain a lock on it, and then import it into the eap file (which usually is not under version control itself).

But if A uses Tortoise to update the xmi file and optain a lock, and then starts EA, EA will recognize that the xmi file is already checked out to A and will do nothing. A's local eap file will not be updated with the changes B has made.

And if A then modifies the package and tries to checks it in, EA will export to the xmi file and then commit it to the repository, which will either result in a conflict or in overwriting the changes B has made.

floerio

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:57:10 pm »
Ok, now I got it ;-)

Thanks!