Author Topic: Question About Tagged Values  (Read 720 times)

• EA User
  • I think. Therefore I get paid.
    • View Profile
Question About Tagged Values
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:07 pm »
I'm using the Component diagram to model business systems, and the 'information flow' arrow to model interfaces between systems.  Very simple modelling technique, but it's valid UML and very useful for the customer.

I've been capturing information in the Notes section about each system (example: "Criticality to Business" which is a good candidate for an enum, with values of "CRITICAL", "IMPORTANT", etc.

However, the discussion in the EA User Guide as to how to use tagged values is a bit short on detail.

Can anyone point me to a good quick tutorial that would show me how it's done? I have been able to define a tagged value for a single object (Component) but don't know how to define a tagged value that I can associate with all objects of a specific type (ie, Component).

Any help appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:00:06 pm by jmcleod »

Oliver F.

• EA User
  • Aren´t we all in the model business ?
    • View Profile
    • Karl Storz homepage
Re: Question About Tagged Values
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »
The best way to accomplish this will be by defining stereotyped elements (extended from the base elements, eg. component, use cases, classes, etc.) which incoporate the tagged values as defaults.
That way if you drag and drop such an element from the toolbox, it will automatically have the tagged values associated.

Take a look at UML Profiles and stereotyped elements in the online help. This will guide you further.

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:03 am »
Other options might be to create a custom metric, or to assign user-created status codes (if you don't use these elsewhere). See the EA help for these and similar features.
No, you can't have it!

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:00:45 am »