Author Topic: Common Warehouse Model (CWM)  (Read 1245 times)

A Porter

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Common Warehouse Model (CWM)
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:54:12 am »
As understand from the EA documentation that you can export a package from EA to an XML file, of type XMI, which conforms to the Common Warehouse Model (CWM) standard defined by the OMG.  

I want to be able to use the exported XMI type file to create a BusinessObjects Universe (version: XI R2) using BO's 'Metadata Exhange' tool and the standard BO format of 'CWM Relational 1.0/1.1'.

The problem that I am experiencing is that when I try to create a BO Universe using the exported file from EA no database or tables appear.  I have tried creating the XMI file from a model that is built as a standard class, plus I have created a XMI file from a model that is built using the database types.

I have taken a quick look at the XMI file that is produced from EA and comparing it with a XMI file that is part of the BO training course, one that works, and the major difference that I can see from the outset is  the one created by EA does not contain a 'catalog' element, which is used to define the database.  

I have also tried to import the XMI file from the BO training, into EA and try to retro fit, but I am having problems with DTDs.  I have imported a CWM dtd onto EA, but then I am getting errors stating that the UML namespaces is being declared twice.  I persume that this is occuring due to the standard UML_EA.dtd or UML.dtd that is installed with EA.

I would very much appreciate anyones thoughts on this matter, even if it's "It cannot be done"

Thankyou in advanced

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Common Warehouse Model (CWM)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:07:15 am »
You said that you imported the "CWM dtd" into EA. You can also import the XMI version of the CWM - the one from the OMG additional resources (or whatever it is called) page - into EA. This will create a class model of the CWM.

This might be what you meant, or perhaps you've already tried this. If that is not the case though, perhaps this will put you in a better position to accomplish your task.

HTH, David
No, you can't have it!

A Porter

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:59:21 pm »
David,

Thankyou for your reply.  I 'imported' the CWM dtd into EA by placing the file into c:\Program Files\Sparx\EA, where the other dtds were located.  This was proballay not the best approach.  I have tried to import the CWM_1.0.xml file (that comes part of the http://www.cwmforum.org/spec.htm/cwm_1.0.zip), which is XMI based into the resources of EA via the GUI but I get a 'Error Parsing" message appearing.  I do not want to start messing around with the file itself as I am looking to create an automated and standard procedure.

I also successfully imported a xml file from the omg (http://www.omg.org/CWM/20020501) but this does not contain any CWM classes, it has a package but it is blank.  This file seems to be MOF.

Therefore, are these the files you were thinking of, if so, I'm not sure that you can import and CWM from OMG into EA

Cheers

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:25 pm »
I have not tried this since EA 6.5 (or perhaps it was 6.1) came out. Back then the XMI file imported just fine; before that time it would not import at all.

At the time I found the file elsewhere from the link you supply, someplace on the OMG site. Since then the OMG links have changed. The newer file (2002-05-01) might not be the same one, and I do not have at hand a copy of the one I used.

Check your XMI file. If it starts with a MOF-type XMI header, try editing the header line to state UML instead of MOF. That might not be fair ball, but it is sometimes enough to trick EA into attempting the import.

Sorry I cannot be of more help with this.

David
No, you can't have it!

A Porter

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 04:09:48 am »
David,

Again, thankyou for your help.  The XMI file that is produced from EA is document tyype of XMI which uses the UML namespace, therefore there is nothing much I can change.  

I also got in touch with BusinessObjects (well, the owners SAP) and asked if that dealt with such an issue before.  Their response was that we could upgrade our systems, but this might still not resolve the issue.  I believe that an upgrade will not resolve the issue, therefore, we are just will have to do the task manually as this needs to be sorted out, which eveyway, quite soon.

Thanks again.