Author Topic: <<signal>> stereotype  (Read 552 times)

deefer

• EA User
    • View Profile
<<signal>> stereotype
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:05:56 am »
Hi

I'm a bit puzzled with the management of signals in EA.

The UML superstructure (and the EA help ) states as follow:
"A reception is a declaration stating that a classifier is prepared to react to the receipt of a signal. A reception designates a signal and specifies the expected behavioral response. The details of handling a signal are specified by the behavior associated with the reception or the classifier itself. ...Receptions are shown using the same notation as for operations with the keyword <signal>"

My question is: how can I assign this keyword to an operation? I've taken a look in the stereotypes but the only thing that resebles <<signal> is <<Event>>.

Thank you for your help.
Davide

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: <<signal>> stereotype
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:08:12 pm »
You can just type "signal" in the stereotype field and then this stereotype will be in the list the next time you try to add a stereotype to an operation.

Geert

Paul Lotz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:27:06 am »
Is a keyword equivalent to a stereotype?  (Note that by checking the boxes for an operation one can show a legitimate keyword.)

Paul Lotz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:01:28 am »
I just looked at the UML2.2 Superstructure document, especially Annex B and Annex C.  From these it seems Keywords and Stereotypes are not equivalent.  Moreover, applying a <<signal>> keyword to an operation should have a semantic meaning, namely, that "isSignal" or something like that should be true (see 3rd bullet on p. 689).  This suggests that EA should have a checkbox for Signal when specifying the properties of an operation.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:46 am »
Is a keyword equivalent to a stereotype?  (Note that by checking the boxes for an operation one can show a legitimate keyword.)
Hi Paul,

Don't forget that EA Keywords aren't UML Keywords...

(Sorry Grandma...  ;))

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:42:07 am »
Paul,

Keywords and stereotypes are definitely not the same, although unfortunately OMG has chosen to present them in the same way.
In EA however some keywords have been implemented as plain stereotypes.

Geert

Paul Lotz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:10:18 am »
OK, Sparx support said more or less the same thing:

"Just type "signal" into the Stereotype field.  After the first time you enter this value, it will be added to the stereotypes table and will therefore show up in the Stereotype list box afterwards.
We have logged a feature request on your behalf for the addition of an "isSignal" option at the Operation level.  This may be investigated, but we cannot say at this time if/when this may be implemented."