Author Topic: "Copy" of SQL database to EAP file  (Read 694 times)

MagnusH

• EA User
    • View Profile
"Copy" of SQL database to EAP file
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:24:42 am »
Hi,

You might help us with this:
We have a decent large database on a SQL server (~1.8 GByte and 1.6GByte is in the t_snapshot table). It works excellent :-)

However we want regulary to take a copy of the database in order to create baselines when we release our products modelled in the database. These baselines do not have to include the t_snapshot data.

Everything was fine until we reached the 1GB limit, we just did a transfer and cleared the audit view and compact the eap file, where the project transfer functionality stopped to work because of the file size I assume. We want to preserver the t_snapshot table at least up to 2Gbyte on the SQL server.

Any suggestions how to solve this without deleting old rows in t_snapshot? I have tried to save the oldest audit logs to XML in order to reduce the t_snapshot but the EA application crashes  >:(

Regards,
Magnus

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Re: "Copy" of SQL database to EAP file
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:02:54 am »
EAP files are really just MS Access Databases and it looks like your right on the limits of what it can do. The only things I can suggest at this stage are
a) create new SQL databases and transfer the data to them.
b) Use version control system such as subversion which is probably the better choice of the two.

Hope that helps :)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »
Magnus,

I guess the easiest solution is to restore a backup of the database to another SQL Server database.
That way you don't have to use the project transfer feature in EA, so it will be less error prone, and probably a lot faster.

Geert

MagnusH

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:02 pm »
Geert,

Forgot to mention that we have a requirement to be able to easily take a baselined version, that we want to put in our document system as a zipped eap file, and open it locally on his machine. If we put the backup of the SQL database every single user that wants to do this has to restore it to a SQL database which is a bit cumbersome. EAP files are good in that sense.

But maybe your suggestions is the best solution for our problem. I will do some test with SQL server express that might be possible to use for single users that wants to open baselined versions.

Do you know if a backup made by SQL Server 2005 can be restored to a SQL Server express?

Thanks,
Magnus

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »
I wouldn't have a clue :(

Another thing to try is to upgrade your eap access file to a more recent version of MS-Access.
I'm guessing Access 2010 has a lot less issues with large file sizes.

Geert