Author Topic: EA 9 Beta  (Read 8360 times)

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: EA 9 Beta: export fails
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:09:16 am »
I cannot export my test model.

This looks more serious, and the log doesn't show much.

[edit][timestamp=1299798943]/me Now formally reported as a bug[/edit]
[edit][timestamp=1299820776]/me  A prompt and interesting response from support that explains the problem.
EA is able to export your example model to XML in memory, but is unable to save to the specified file because of the current code page configured in EA.  EA's default encoding scheme is "windows-1252", which unfortunately does not have the capacity to handle these unicode characters.

Refer to the attached file "Snapshot.PNG" - The stereotype "[ch257][ch275][ch299][ch333][ch363]" will be exported as boxed in red.  The "windows-1252" code page is not able to handle these unicode characters, hence the error message when attempting to save the XMI file.

Changing EA's default encoding scheme to either "UTF-8" or "UTF-16" should allow your export to complete successfully.

- In Enterprise Architect, open Tools | Options
- select the "XML Specifications" page
- Set "Code Page" to either "UTF-8" or "UTF-16"

Please Note: This error is not specific to EA 9 - earlier builds of EA would also encounter this error when exporting to XMI 2.1.  This will also occur when exporting to the ECore and OMG XMI formats now available in EA 9 as XMI 2.1 is their underlying format.

My further suggestions are that
  • a more meaningful message might be useful
  • perhaps the charset should be shown on the export dialogue
  • perhaps in the 21st century we should default to UTF-8 or UTF-16
Just as an aside I thought that XML characters were represented as Unicode [/edit]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:33:14 pm by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules
Using EA12.1 (1229) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: EA 9 Beta:table paste into notes field.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:27:43 am »
I'm at the point of asking whether I wasted my time submitting bug reports.
Pasting text from a table into a notes field.

The table

Pasted into note field

after save
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:28:10 am by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules
Using EA12.1 (1229) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: EA 9 Beta:Spell check formatting in notes
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »

when the spell checker checks the note it incorrectly spell checks the underlying formatting.
Orthogonality rules

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: EA 9 Beta: Spell checker doesn't do unicode
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:48 pm »

Spell check should display "t[ch275]n[ch257]" and allow it to be saved to the dictionary.

This is clearly not a doubled word.

Note also that while the spell check dialogue does now allow unicode characters to be entered it strips the unicode values when replacing with them.

[edit][timestamp=1300141339]/me registered bug registered[/edit]

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:22:53 am by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:29 pm »
I'm at the point of asking whether I wasted my time submitting bug reports.
Pasting text from a table into a notes field.

The table

Pasted into note field

after save

Skiwi,

Tables in notes were not supported in V8, and I don't think they are in V9, so what you are seeing is the same behavior as seen in V8.

Geert

rrjobse

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: EA 9 Beta
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:11:01 am »
Any thoughts on release date/quarter/year of the EA 9 final release? And intermediate releases, like beta 2, release candidate?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:07 am »
Judging from past experiences, the beta2 will be released in about a week, and about two weeks later we will see the final release.

Geert

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 06:46:00 am »
Tables in notes were not supported in V8, and I don't think they are in V9, so what you are seeing is the same behavior as seen in V8.

Geert

Correct, I wasn't asking for table support,
simply to remove the formatting that isn't supported by the control, as is done for, say, when typeface is pasted in.
Orthogonality rules

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:10 am »
So, are you going to actually report any of these or just complain to users?  Although, to me it looks like you are just testing issues you have complained about previously and weren't listed in the release notes.  As a general rule if it's not in the release notes it hasn't changed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:46:21 am by simonm »
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

alindan

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 09:00:05 am »
I am not a "registered user" anymore, we have not maintained our annual upgrade rights (the new features were not of interest to us for us, plus some funding issues). However we are looking at building a business case to renew the license for your products. Is there any possibility to get involved in the beta testing for non-registered users?

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 10:09:18 am »
So, are you going to actually report any of these or just complain to users?

You want a format bug report for each of these issues then?

I would have found it helpful if that had been made clear on the download page. (see my post above)
Although, to me it looks like you are just testing issues you have complained about previously and weren't listed in the release notes.  As a general rule if it's not in the release notes it hasn't changed.
Well sorry, of course I am, I reported these because they impact our use of the product in the hope of them being remedied, especially the unicode ones.
If you are not going to fix them for a major release of the product when are you going to fix them?
And IMHO its very hard to divine from the release notes what has and hasn't been fixed.
If perhaps, like some other vendors I deal with, you assigned some sort of identifier to an issue, and then used that reference number as well as the description in the release note, we wouldn't have to guess.

The export problem certainly is not an old, or reported problem.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:07:41 am by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules

Martin P

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 05:02:49 am »
Is there any chance that the visual representation of internal transitions in state machine diagrams gets corrected for the final release of EA9? Currently there are no visual clues that allow to distinguish an internal transition from a self transition, which will result in a lot of misunderstanding if somebody just looks at the diagram.

Thelonius

• EA User
  • I think. Therefore I get paid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 01:41:24 pm »
So, are you going to actually report any of these or just complain to users?  Although, to me it looks like you are just testing issues you have complained about previously and weren't listed in the release notes.  As a general rule if it's not in the release notes it hasn't changed.

Hello. I think Sparx customers deserve a bit more respect than this contemptuous, patronising and condescending response demonstrates.

Many of us have, for years, followed Sparx's suggestions re submitting "feature" and / or "bug" requests. These were always uniformly met with complete and total silence. Not even so much as a "Thank you, your submission has been received and may be considered for implementation in a future release."

I think all of us are hoping that the defect reports and feature requests we have posted over the past few years may have found their way into v9. Not an unreasonable hope, I would have thought.

If "Release Notes" for v9 are comparable to the rest of Sparx's documentation, they provide considerable room for interpretation.

Hmm.

Martin P

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 08:06:45 pm »
Just asking if there is a possibly closed forum or any other means around, where one could post bug reports. I would think that this is what a beta version is for.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:42 am »
I apologize for the apparent tone of my previous message. I did not intend to sound negative in any way.

Primarily I really wanted to offer a reminder that this is a user forum. The support system for Enterprise Architect is from the forms provided for that purpose (links at bottom of page) and email.

There are a massive number of bug fixes and features requested by users in version 9, but in the end some prioritization needs to happen. If your particular issue hasn't been fixed then I apologize.

The export problem that you've described is part of why it's called a beta version and isn't recommended for production use.  Which makes it all the more important that it is reported through the appropriate channels.

Alindan, my current understanding is that a beta 2 will be released soon which will be open to non-registered users.

Martin, I'm not an expert at that sort of modeling, but I believe if you open the state operations dialog you can enter free text in the action field.  This gives the same appearance as an internal transition.  Also, see the bug report forms already mentioned.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com