Author Topic: BPMN Swimlanes and Pools  (Read 918 times)

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
BPMN Swimlanes and Pools
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:55 pm »
Hi team,

I'm trying to work out how (or why) EA is messing with the placement of swimlanes within pools...

There are circumstances where the swimlane is "snapping" to a location which covers up the name of the pool.

I have checked to make sure that "snap to grid" (smart placement and standard grid) are not selected, but something is over-riding the user's choice of the location of the lanes...

Is there a method available for the tool to place the lanes in the right place? BPMN diagrams have the potential to look really messy at the moment...
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

Aaron B

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN Swimlanes and Pools
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:43 pm »
Might be the "Dockable" option.  Right-click on your lanes and see if the "Dockable" option in the context menu is enabled.  If it is - does disabling this option help?

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN Swimlanes and Pools
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:45:58 pm »
Thank you Aaron,

It does look like it's in some way associated with the "Dockable" option...

I've (so far) found three things that are contributing to the problem.

1. Lanes that are embedded in the pool in the project browser.
2. Pools that had the "lane" stereotype.
3. Lanes that were larger than the associated pool.

The solution looks to be quite simple... Correct the errors, move the lanes, make the pool larger, drag the lanes back to the vicinity of the appropriate edges and let the "docking" work as planned. Then resize the pool.

:D

Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."