Author Topic: Some questions on the tools possibilities  (Read 1746 times)

2use

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Some questions on the tools possibilities
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:21:29 pm »
Hi everyone! I've came accros EA and had some questions on the tool. Hope you can answer. what are the integration and import possibility with legacy systems specifically.  Are these possibilities limited?

Thank you in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:49:33 am by 2use »

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions on the tools possibilities
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:46 pm »
Hi,

Answers to your questions:

1) Yes EA supports full code round tripping against a range of languages.
2) Yes - assuming you set your model up correctly in Sparx.
3) Yes full integration with a centralised repository and version control systems is avalible.
4) Sparx is a modelling too...out of the box you want get integration in the sense i think you driving at...no modelling tool does really...which legacy systems did you have in mind and what do you want to acheive ?

Regards,

Jon.

2use

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:11:33 am »
Thanx for the reply. Does this mean that one can classify EA as an MDD/MDA Case tool?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:49:57 am by 2use »

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:12:32 am »
In theory yes can use it as MDD/MDA however you are likely to need to do some of the transformations/ generations yourself to achieve what you want. Doing this can be a lot of work and not for the faint hearted.

If you are thinking of doing RAD development consider creating the use cases /story boards along with a domain model in EA. Transform the EA model to data model then generate DDL and create a database. Once the DB has be created then consider using a tool like ironspeed or code on time to generate the rest of the stack.

Yes you are right there is no such thing as the perfect tool. EA is powerful and affordable which makes it popular however there is a bit of a learning curve to climb. Its not always intuitive to use. You need to know what your going to do  with it and be prepared to put in the hard yards. At the end of a day a fool with a tool is still a fool. There is no silver bullet just a pinch of inspiration and lots of perspiration.

I'd advise you to find a local Sparx Partner to get you up to speed if you are struggling. :)

Comparing tools - well there are plenty of people out their who try but often there is a hidden agenda or they are simply not qualified to compare tools. Gartners EA tool magic quadrant - would take with a pinch of salt.
Another is http://www.enterprise-architecture.info/EA_Tools.htm however the last time I looked it was comparing an old version of Sparx EA with new versions of other tools - not quite a level playing field there.
I've also come across vendors trying to sell tools making a comparison of their tool with Sparx EA. After some scrutiny I often find they have blatantly lied. To the un-initiated they can get a way with it but with me knowing Sparx EA for 7+ years use I pull them apart.

If you looking for some kind of endorsement the I can recommend Sparx EA as being the best value tool on the market. I've done lots of research time and time again over the years and found Sparx EA to be good value. Once again there is no gain without pain and that is you need to spend time learning the tool. No short cuts here unless you hire someone to guide you through it.

Well hope that helps in some small way before you take the plunge. In many ways its like standing on the side of the pool thinking should I jump in or not. It feels cold may be not. If you don't you'll miss out on all the fun. Jump in and splash around you'll have fun!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:44:45 pm by phenzell »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »
Nothing to add to this statement. I wholeheartedly agree!

q.

2use

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:48:49 am »
In theory yes can use it as MDD/MDA however you are likely to need to d...

Thanx so much  :D! Im not that much struggling, but i lost faith in white papers and etc long time ago. Still, no other way except actually using the tool will can tell me how it actually is :) Hopefully people here can share some knowledge.

BTW - 3000 page user manual  :o...how steep is the learning curve!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:50:27 am by 2use »

2use

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:51:06 am »
Hi,

Answers to your questions:
4) Sparx is a modelling too...out of the box you want get integration in the sense i think you driving at...no modelling tool does really...which legacy systems did you have in mind and what do you want to acheive ?

Regards,
Jon.

Well, we had optimalJ before, and RSA of not the latest version. As i see, RSA is probably qualified for integration. But what about version control, model testing and verification, and etc?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
1 - Can i automatically create models from models? Like PSM from PIM?
Yes (see MDA tranformations)
2 - How flexible is the user in definit of transformations for model to model and to code?
I'm not sure, there's transformation templates, and I think you can even invoke some code while doing a transformation for the really complex stuff.
3 - The tool itself does not allow to merges or compare models automatically?
It does comparing and merging to a certain extend. However, due to the nature of the thing, merging UML is a PITA
4 - As i understood, the tool provides traceability or sychronization between models and code? To what extent? Because as far as i know, no tool exists so far that does this ideally .
I'm not sure, never used it.
5 - How flawless is the distant collaboration support in this tool?  
There are different options (including integration with version control or not). One of these options will likely fit you. If setup correctly these works fine.
6 - How does it handle UI generation?
Don't know.

BTW - 3000 page user manual  ...how steep is the learning curve!
What can we say, it's a big product with lots of features. When actually working with it you'll even find that the user manual is a bit light in details about certain functions.

Geert

SomersetGraham

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 05:05:54 pm »
Hi

As i understood, the tool provides traceability or sychronization between models and code? To what extent? Because as far as i know, no tool exists so far that does this ideally .

EA allows you to generate code from class models and behaviour models and to synchronise model and code.
A number of languages are supported, if your chosen language is not supported then you can write your own code generation template.
You can tailor the existing code generation templates to suit your preferred coding style

EA provides integration with Visual Studio and Eclipse IDEs which I have found to be most useful.

hth

Graham
Using V12

uniredes

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »
I have a registered Desktop Edition version 9.2.922. I´m trying some "code and db generation" over an existing Data-Modeling Diagram. But this option is not available. Is it an Enterprise Edition (or higher) feature only ?

g.makulik

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:39 am »
This feature is available with minimum 'Professional' edition.
Look here: http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/index.html#editions

WBR
Günther
Using EA9.3, UML2.3, C++, linux, my brain, http://makulik.github.com/sttcl/