Author Topic: Aggregates connector is shown the wrong way around  (Read 21 times)

mmo

• EA User
    • View Profile
Aggregates connector is shown the wrong way around
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:45:29 pm »
It is a long-standing peculiarity that the "Aggregates"-connectors in EA's class diagram were by default shown/drawn the wrong way around, i.e. the diamond was drawn at the target side, not on the source side. Fortunately there used to be a flag in the preferences (Pref's -> Links -> Association default - source --> target) that allowed to swap (i.e. correct) that behavior.
That flag is still there but in the v13.0 and also 13.5 this flag has apparently no effect, i.e. that connector is shown the wrong way round, regardless of whether that flag is checked or not.

To see, which way these connectors ought to be drawn correctly just have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_diagram or at https://www.uml-diagrams.org/composition.html?context=class-diagrams.

Is there some secret sauce to tweak EA to create correct UML class diagrams or does one now have to live with that bug?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Aggregates connector is shown the wrong way around
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:14:44 am »
I'd guess you'll have to report a bug. Maybe it's fixed in V14 (probably not). Also this might introduce more bugs from the other side...

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:47:31 am »
As explained many times in the past...

In UML 1, it was explicitly stated that aggregations and compositions had the diamonds at the target end. In UML 2, there is no separate metaclass for aggregations and composition; they are associations. Associations are undirected, so the diamond can go on either end.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:41 am »
Fortunately there used to be a flag in the preferences (Pref's -> Links -> Association default - source --> target) that allowed to swap (i.e. correct) that behavior.
That flag is still there but in the v13.0 and also 13.5 this flag has apparently no effect, i.e. that connector is shown the wrong way round, regardless of whether that flag is checked or not.
The option changed the drawing direction, but EA still placed the aggregation at the same end. It has less effect these days because the quicklinker provides options to be explicit about the drawing direction. If you drag an aggregation from the toolbox it still uses that option.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com