Author Topic: model IDEF0  (Read 2389 times)

drategon

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
model IDEF0
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:35:32 pm »
Can we do IDEF0 Modeling in ea?

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: model IDEF0
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »
Im not aware of a specific MDG (sparx extension) for IDEF0. But it looks to be based on UML. So yes you can. If required you could create your "stereotyped" objects to match those used by IDEF0. In effect creating your own MDG. Search the help for MDG / stereotypes and Profiles.

Regards,

Jon.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:38 am »
You can select IDEF1X notation for connectors in diagram properties.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

adama

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:03:37 am »
Sparx EA does not really support IDEF0, because..

*In Sparx, a line MUST connect two boxes*, whereas IDEF0 ICOMs have only one connected end, except for transitions (which are at once an output and input).

ICOM arrows are objects, but Sparx uses boxes (i.e. classes) for objects. 

I have created a form of IDEF0 using MDG, but it's tortured.

The beauty of IDEF0 is that you can use a very simple set of shapes to convey a ton of information in a very small space.  You really cannot do that if you have to create a box for ever object.

Don't really see a way of doing this in Sparx without a major deviation from the core program model.
 :(

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:56:43 am »
It's like you can draw UMLish diagrams in Visio, but they are no models. Same way IDEF0 in EA is just IDEF0ish.

q.

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:32:00 am »
I'm probably a dinosaur, but I really liked IDEF0 for process decomposition and analysis. I used Design IDEF back in the day, but to my knowledge, no enterprise repository existed. Heck, it didn't even store data in a database; it used local tables to store its data and all the relationships.

I know no federal funding existed to define all the proposed IDEF methodologies and there were probably a bundle of issues with maintaining and integrating all the proposed standards of which I'm wholly unaware. However, I have to think that one of the biggest issues was that consulting firms had to create new methodologies to push and sell. They couldn't do that with IDEF.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:46 am »
Sparx EA does not really support IDEF0, because..

*In Sparx, a line MUST connect two boxes*, whereas IDEF0 ICOMs have only one connected end, except for transitions (which are at once an output and input).

ICOM arrows are objects, but Sparx uses boxes (i.e. classes) for objects. 

I have created a form of IDEF0 using MDG, but it's tortured.

The beauty of IDEF0 is that you can use a very simple set of shapes to convey a ton of information in a very small space.  You really cannot do that if you have to create a box for ever object.

Don't really see a way of doing this in Sparx without a major deviation from the core program model.
 :(
With the later versions and certainly v13.x, lines can connect lines or connect lines to objects.  We are increasingly using this feature.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!