Author Topic: Import from Avolution Abacus  (Read 971 times)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Import from Avolution Abacus
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:11 am »
I have an enterprise architecure model in Avolution's Abacus and its modelled using Archimate. I would like to import this to Sparx EA. Has anyone done this before and has any tips.  
It apears Avolution have created a plug-in to export from sparx EA and import to Abacus but not the other way around. Funny that  :o? Also Abacus can export to XML but its a proprietry format so Sparx EA doesn't recognise it  >:(.
At present the best option seems to export to an Access database then write some script to extract transform and load into a Sparx EA eap file.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Re: Import from Avolution Abacus
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:56:37 am »
Thought I'd just post how I did this for future reference to others. I can provide the code upon request should anyone want it.
Abacus has the ability to export to MS Access so I did exactly that.
I then wrote a C# plug-in to Sparx EA to query the Abacus model in MS Access and create the equivalent Packages, Objects and relationships in  Sparx EA. I chickened out trying to port the diagrams via the C# plug in as I only had 20 hours to do this over the weekend. I had about 40 diagrams  that I could re-construct by manually by dragging and dropping from the project explorer. I figured a about 4 or 5 hours to reconstruct those diagrams manually as opposed to about 30 or 40 hours more writing C# code to do the diagram port.
Anyway I'm now off Abacus and using Sparx EA much to my delight  :)

As an aside I've now tried 3 different tools that appear in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for enterprise architecture and everyone in my humble opinion is inferior to Sparx Enterprise Architect (No I'm not getting paid to say that). Although a couple have a few useful features that Sparx doesn't have (yet).

Just like to say thanks to Sparx for providing such a rich tool set at such a reasonable price. [smiley=happy.gif]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:59:19 am by phenzell »