Author Topic: Power Designer and Sparx EA info exchange  (Read 677 times)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Power Designer and Sparx EA info exchange
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:40:39 am »
We have an enterprise architecture team working with two different tools. Kind of evolved that way before my time  :(. The data architects are working in power designer with the business and application architects working in Sparx EA. We would like to link the data entities with applications in Sparx EA. But first we need to get those entities from power designer into Sparx EA to link them. Has any one had a similar situation. Would be good to have some advice, tips and tricks on how to exchange information between the two tools?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:41:54 am by phenzell »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Power Designer and Sparx EA info exchange
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »
First thing to look into is xmi export/import
A quick google reveals that Power Designer supports some kind of xmi export: http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc38086.1650/doc/html/rad1232633851733.html
But aparently they don't support diagrams in their xmi export.
You can either live with that limitation, or you can do some post-processing after the xmi import.
I guess Power Designer has an API as well, so you would need to start from each diagram in Power Designer and rebuild it in EA.
Its a bit of work, but not too difficult.

Geert

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Re: Power Designer and Sparx EA info exchange
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
Thanks Geert, coming to the same conclusion that writing some code and accessing the data via the API is probably the best approach. Funny I seem to be doing this a lot recently. Last weekend it was Abacus.

Cheers