Author Topic: EA v12 (BETA) feedback  (Read 11807 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: EA v12 (BETA) feedback
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »
See my post above. It's part of the famous game "Where are my menus in the new EA version?"  ;D

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 07:06:51 pm »
See my post above. It's part of the famous game "Where are my menus in the new EA version?"  ;D

q.
Yes, sigh ::)
I'm playing it now so I can help my users later on after we upgrade.

Geert

SomersetGraham

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 07:50:20 pm »
Hi
I dont seem to be able to find a download link for EA v12
Please could someone point me in the right direction

Thanks
Using V12

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 07:58:09 pm »
The redesign of the operations/attributes dialog is horrible.
I was just trying to change something to the parameters of an operation, but the two fields that are most used for a parameter (name and type) get the smallest part of the screen.
Just a tiny portion of the screen, only 12 characters for name and 12 characters for type are visible.
But on the on the other hand, I have half the width of my screen to indicate the direction! >:(
Who designed this? And who agreed to it? Have they ever actually used it?

I'm getting pretty tired of this.. :-[

Sparx fix it, please!!! >:(

Geert
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:58:53 pm by Geert.Bellekens »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:35 pm »
Hi
I dont seem to be able to find a download link for EA v12
Please could someone point me in the right direction

Thanks
http://www.sparxsystems.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1415160890

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 09:35:53 pm »
Who designed this? And who agreed to it? Have they ever actually used it?
My best guess when looking down the last - say 7 - versions then the design and implementation was agreed between marketing and development without bothering someone caring about user stories or  the like.

:( :( :( :(

q.

aviv

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 09:53:11 pm »
The beta is released for registered users only.
 Where can I register?
Thank.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 10:41:17 pm »
If you buy EA you become a registered user (for a year)

Geert

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 06:47:31 am »
Nice to see Sparx are making an attempt to revamp the UI. I like what they are doing. The portal and navigator help newbies find things easier which is great.
I did notice access to the image manager seems to be only via the context menu on an object in a diagram. Would be nice to be able to access the image manager via the main menu. View would be good but I guess Project has its merits too.

VK

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:04 am »
@Sunshine RE: Image Manager - available from the following main menu : Project -> Settings -> Images

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:44 am »
@Sunshine RE: Image Manager - available from the following main menu : Project -> Settings -> Images
That's definitely going to be the new "red triangle" question.

q.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:05 am »
Thank you all for your feedback so far.

- I lost my workpace layouts !?! Why? I needed those, they worked for me and now I have to redo them.
I feel your pain. I have layouts I use all the time too. A number of new windows have been added, a few have been moved into internal views. All of this plays havoc with the layout mechanism and we felt that it was better to reset them than have it do a bad job loading an old one.

Your old layouts are still there. EA 12 is just looking in a different directory in appdata for them. If you want to try using your old layouts copy them from %appdata%\Sparx Systems\EA\Workspace Layouts to %appdata%\Sparx Systems\EA\Workspace Layouts12.

- BreadCrum/Navigation bar on top is nice. The "back/forward" arrows promise something much better, but unfortunately they don't deliver. Pressing the "back" button only selects the parent package in the project browser, not the previously opened diagram.
It doesn't do what I expected either. But I was expecting it to go back to the previous package. I think we'll see this toolbar improved over time.

- The properties dialogs. OMG Everything is different, and they have re-instated tabs, TABS EVERYWHERE!!! Anyone who had any documentation about EA can now start to rewrite (and copy/paste printscreens) because it all look very different now.
There are places in the UI that now have less tabs. The internal tabs that have been added previously corresponded to additional top level pages. In most cases when I use it, I hardly notice the internal tab control because everything I typically want is on the front page.

The most common exceptions to this are tagged values (on anything) or notes on operations. The notes on parameters aren't terribly convenient either, but in my experience they don't usually get a lot of documentation.

I was a little surprised when I opened a Diagram to see NO TOOLBOX!
I can see how that could be a problem. There is a button in the diagram caption bar to show or hide it, but that may not be visible enough. I think it's not in the default layouts because of that button and because so many views don't use it.

Well I like the new look and feel - but unless they have something up their sleeve - that's all we have here - a new look and feel.
There's a lot more than that mentioned on the download page, not too mention what the full release notes will describe.

Doesn't look too bad. But still the attributes/operations need to open in a separate window. Why can't these stay in the same properties window as that of the element itself? So the new style looks more like marketing driven rather than intended by practical use improvements.
So, you don't like that they are in a shared window, but you would like them to share the object properties dialog?

I can't deny that the visual styles don't necessarily provide usage improvements. But older versions of EA had an unusual mashup of themed and unthemed elements, even on the same dialog. I'm glad to see the updates if only because things aren't standing out at me for all the wrong reasons.

I can't seem to find where they hid the MDG Technologies option (where you can select/deselect which MDG's you want to use)
I've had the same issue. I just moved it under the extensions menu, which I think makes more sense. But I'll have to see if I can convince anyone else of that.

More comments in a second post so I don't go over the character limit.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
The redesign of the operations/attributes dialog is horrible.
I was just trying to change something to the parameters of an operation, but the two fields that are most used for a parameter (name and type) get the smallest part of the screen.
Just a tiny portion of the screen, only 12 characters for name and 12 characters for type are visible.
But on the on the other hand, I have half the width of my screen to indicate the direction!
I opened this up and couldn't see what you were talking about. The sizes where exactly the same. It wasn't until I resized the dialog that I saw it. It looks to me that the problem is that the wrong part of the UI is expanding with the dialog. I think I can probably get that fixed. Assuming I can, what's your opinion on the rest of the parameters dialog?

Nice to see Sparx are making an attempt to revamp the UI. I like what they are doing. The portal and navigator help newbies find things easier which is great.
That's great to hear.

BTW: Of course we have menu migrations. SETTINGS is now to be found under PROJECT/Settings (well, the menu is all uppercase now?!).
Yes, it's different. Most of the things in the settings menu where relevant to the current project, which is the reason for the move. Most of the things that aren't relating the current project have been moved out of settings.

Keep the feedback coming. It's why there is a beta out now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:40:47 am by simonm »
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

mikepolson

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 09:53:04 am »
Anyone know how to access the Database Engineering toolset?  Per the EA12 highlights page, its Tools/Database Builder. However, I don't see it from that menu.  

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:33 am »
Is it licence specific?

I can see it (and start it up) from there (Business and Software Engineering Edition)

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."