Author Topic: EA v12 (BETA) feedback  (Read 12022 times)

mikepolson

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: EA v12 (BETA) feedback
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:33 am »
It could be - I'm running Professional Edition and don't see it.  I would however expect it to be in Professional.

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2014, 10:22:07 am »
Random question...

Do you have a project open?

I just noticed that it's greyed out if there is no project open.
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 10:24:26 am »
Another thing to check is:

View, Perspectives, Menu Sets...

Just in case it's turned off in there.
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 11:07:21 am »
Tools/Database Builder looks like being new?

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 11:08:23 am »
It could be - I'm running Professional Edition and don't see it.  I would however expect it to be in Professional.
Package/DB Engineering?

q.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:14 pm »
I think both the database builder and schema composer are corporate and above.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 06:04:16 pm »
I opened this up and couldn't see what you were talking about. The sizes where exactly the same. It wasn't until I resized the dialog that I saw it. It looks to me that the problem is that the wrong part of the UI is expanding with the dialog. I think I can probably get that fixed. Assuming I can, what's your opinion on the rest of the parameters dialog?
The rest seems OK.
I'm just a bit sad that all of the properties of all things in EA now have this  same generic key/value list layout. It makes it harder to find the property you need.
I hope this redesign has a good reason (like you need this because you are prepping for full web version of EA ;)) because it surely is less user friendly now.
What I do like it that every new dialog I've seen is re-sizable.

Geert

PS. Thanks for the response like that Simon. It makes me feel like my opinion counts.

mikepolson

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 05:03:40 am »
Re: I think both the database builder and schema composer are corporate and above.

If that is correct, I believe this would then be a bug;)  

Per the EA Editions page - http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/compare-editions.html - "Database Engineering" is a capability of the Professional Edition.  So, shouldn't this functionality be enabled and visible within the Professional edition?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:04:29 am by mikepolson »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 08:32:17 am »
Re: I think both the database builder and schema composer are corporate and above.

If that is correct, I believe this would then be a bug;)  

Per the EA Editions page - http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/compare-editions.html - "Database Engineering" is a capability of the Professional Edition.  So, shouldn't this functionality be enabled and visible within the Professional edition?
Or maybe the announcement is simply wrong ::)

q.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 09:50:45 am »
I'm just a bit sad that all of the properties of all things in EA now have this  same generic key/value list layout. It makes it harder to find the property you need.
... because it surely is less user friendly now.
I understand the concern. It's one that I had when the new dialogs were proposed. But after having used the new dialogs for a while, (yes, I spend my entire day using EA apart from short forays for things like this forum) I wouldn't want to go back.

The old dialogs were still a matter of key/value pairs. It's a constant issue for us to fit the fields on the dialog. In order to try to fit everything on, most dialogs use at least two columns. So it's not easy to scan and gives the impressing of being cluttered and messy even if everything is aligned well.

By structuring all the properties into a list, I find it easier to scan for the one I'm after. We're already displaying more values on that first page and there's no reason we can't put more useful values there. Even better, the list supports grouping. At the moment we're only using two groups in the object properties (the same as you'll find in the docked window) but there's no reason we can't expand it and provide more structure in the future.

The Professional edition still supports importing from ODBC and DDL generation. It has been improved with DDL generation templates. The capabilities of connecting to running instances of the database, altering them on the fly and running commands within Enterprise Architect have been classified as Corporate functionality distinct from the capabilities of the Professional edition.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 05:52:41 pm »
I opened this up and couldn't see what you were talking about. The sizes where exactly the same. It wasn't until I resized the dialog that I saw it. It looks to me that the problem is that the wrong part of the UI is expanding with the dialog. I think I can probably get that fixed. Assuming I can, what's your opinion on the rest of the parameters dialog?
The rest seems OK.
I just installed the second BETA and the the problem with the parameters name and type is already solved!
When re-sizing the dialog the parameters part is being re-sized allowing me the see the whole name and type.

Great response time!

Geert

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »
In the operations properties, looking at the list of parameters, the following features are available via a right click: Enable Group Box, Field Chooser and Toggle filter bar.

The first 2 features have no use in this context : there's no additional field to choose, and there's no column title available to group results -> should they be removed?
Also if Enable Group Box and Toggle filter bar are both enabled, they overlap.

Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com | Automated tests for scripts & addins: www.eatests.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »
Great response time!
Nostalgic feelings coming up :)

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 10:01:57 pm »
I just tried to create a new attribute/operation and noticed that there is no New button. You need to open the context menu.  Well, maybe the Ctrl+N is anyway better. But then, please, have the name selected so I can type over the name I have in mind. Now I have to dbl-click it once again. Superfluous.

And when I Tab out of it I want to reach the Type field...

q.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:02:50 pm by qwerty »

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 09:05:21 am »
I just installed the second BETA and the the problem with the parameters name and type is already solved!
When re-sizing the dialog the parameters part is being re-sized allowing me the see the whole name and type.

Great response time!
I intended to share what had been updated based on feedback from this thread, but got caught up on other things.

In other changes, MDG Technologies can now be found under extensions (But you may need to reset your menu in Tools | Customize). Hopefully that makes it easier to find.

The Application Look dialog (the one with all the radio buttons) has been simplified, but also had some extra options added. Including to restore the tree style tabs on property dialogs if you missed that.

Well, maybe the Ctrl+N is anyway better. But then, please, have the name selected so I can type over the name I have in mind. Now I have to dbl-click it once again. Superfluous.

And when I Tab out of it I want to reach the Type field...
Did you try typing once you pressed Ctrl+N? That's exactly what it does. :)

Tab is moving to the next control, just the default windows behavior. But you can use arrow keys to navigate the list. Just press enter to confirm the current edit first.

Guillaume, I'll see if the developers can hide those options.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com