Author Topic: e-Book for Enterprise Architect available  (Read 9082 times)

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
e-Book for Enterprise Architect available
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:39:01 pm »
Just released: an e-Book (pdf, ePub, Mobi-Kindle) version of Fifty Enterprise architect Tricks. Available at http://bit.ly/AquJuE

Bonus:
There's a free chapter (about 20% of the book contents) to download, and e-version buyers get updates of the book for free.

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: e-Book for Enterprise Architect available
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:48 am »
To my knowledge, this is the only book about Enterprise Architect out there. Or do I miss something?

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:03:43 am »
Update: the book is already at the bestseller list on Leanpub: http://leanpub.com/bestsellers

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:21:25 am »
It's not quite the only book about Enterprise Architect. I've seen one although it was in Japanese. There are also a number of books primarily about Process, that specifically use EA features and use EA for examples throughout.

Still, looking at your table of contents, it looks like there are some worthwhile tips there and I hope it continues to sell for you.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:51:24 am »
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese ;-) like most of us I guess.

Here's one tip that did not make it into the book: http://www.aboriginemundi.com/index.php/2011/04/ea-tricks-a-bunch-of-relations/

T Kouno

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:51 am »
Hi,

I am author of the book. About 3,000 copies of the book were sold in Japan, but now it is out of print. (The ISBN of the book was 978-4434110177.)

I learned that printed books are not suitable for EA because the content is soon getting old. Now we (Sparx Japan) offer basic and simple usage guide (B5/32p) as PDF for free.

--
t-kouno

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:10:40 pm »
Indeed, printed media are not really suited for quicly evolving software like Enterprise Architect.

That's one of the main reasons I turned to Leanpub: updates are for free and they will be announced automatically to readers.

The other main reason is cost. Printing & shipping costs a lot of money. With digital media, that is no longer the case. This means I can offer the ebook for one third of the price of the printed book.

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:03:58 pm »
Here's another tip that I did not include in the book. It explains how to remove connector stereotypes of information items conveyed by the connector:

http://www.aboriginemundi.com/index.php/2011/09/enterprise-architect-tip-hiding-connector-stereotypes-for-stereotyped-information-items-conveyed/

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:14:10 am »
I've just published an update to the book (there was a figure missing in trick 47 - printing large diagrams, which is now fixed).

I am pondering the idea to add a bonus chapter to the e-book, including some tips that are available on my website. Do you think that would be a good idea?

jfzouain

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:17:25 am »
It is great idea, I planning to buy it this week.
Best regards

Jose Zouain

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:11 am »
Just received this message from an EA user who bought the book:

"Just reading this now (Kindle version).
Iíve been an EA user for 7+ years, and Iím now keeping a tally of the tricks I didnít know: and there are lots!
This is a great piece of work, and has been needed for a long time.
Iím just writing a ĎIntro to EAí course for a customer, and Iíll certainly reference it.
Well done!
"

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 04:07:50 pm »
If there is some interest for that, I could do a bonus chapter on how to develop your own toolbox in EA. Please respond if you think that is a good idea.

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 02:24:59 am »
I got no less than five mails with additional tricks and info, all from readers who have bought the e-version. I'll ask permission to include them in a new version, which will be offered as a free update.

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »
I just published an update with an additional trick. Kind of surprised that lots of users don't know this, even people who have used EA for a long time.

It's about turning off the "(from <package>") in diagrams where you use elements from packages other than the one the diagram belongs to.

http://leanpub.com/entarch

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:52 am »
Just added trick nį 55: how to add a bunch of relations with only a few mouseclicks... all current readers have been informed of the update and can download a new version for free at http://leanpub.com/entarch