Author Topic: Is there any solution for Docs Generator (RTF)?  (Read 11086 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any solution for Docs Generator (RTF)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 09:58:44 am »
I confess hereby. Roman Text Forces beware!

qwertix

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 07:03:37 pm »
I've documented my approach, including an example model and use case template in this article: Tutorial: Generate complex documents from Enterprise Architect with a two-step semi-automated approach

Geert

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 09:46:06 am »
I don't want to be Dogmatix about this, but I'm certain that he fell into a cauldron when he was a baby...
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 10:19:18 am »
Dogmatix was the dog. The person OTHER than quertix who fell into the cauldron was Obelix, the menhir-delivery man.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:19:46 am by RoyC »
Best Regards, Roy

smitasam

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 12:27:52 am »
I would also like to see your JScript code. I have similar problems with template engine.

Could you please post your solution here?

bockfu

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:34:38 pm »
I've documented my approach, including an example model and use case template in this article: Tutorial: Generate complex documents from Enterprise Architect with a two-step semi-automated approach

Geert

Thanks Geert. Just read the report, have yet to try it out but reading it clarified how to configure some parameters of a virtual document.

Pawel Zubkiewicz

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • zubkiewicz.com
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 11:12:16 pm »
There are lots and lots and lots of EA users who don't write code. And don't have access, any more, to people who can write code for them. They are business analysts and process modellers and even actual Enterprise Architects, and they just don't write code.
So any document creation mechanism which relies, even in a small way, on writing code, or even requiring understanding of the increasingly complex EA internal data model, just is not fit for purpose. When these people are told they need to write code to make a document, they go straight back to Visio and Word, and those tools are the completion here.

Well, I can not agree with you. Not all BAs and EAs  fall back to Visio and Word. Which is terrible on so many levels that I don't even want to follow that idea more.

I am an Enterprise Architect (TOGAF and ArchiMate certified) and Business Analyst (OCEB, CCBA certified), I've been using Sparx EA for many years and I would never want to do my documentation in Word or draw pictures in Viso (in Visio you can not model!).

Anyway, recently I created needed set of templates for UseCase documentation generation. It is described verbosely here Nonlinear generation of documentation in Sparx Enterprise Architect. The main aim of doing it was ease of use. I agree with you that not every EA user must understand how the tool works uder the hood, I also think that Virtual Documents are a little bit too complicated for many modelers (BAs an EAs included). That's why I created complex template that is easy to use. I did it not because I think BAs and EAs are allowed to not understand their tools, I did for people who very rarely use Sparx EA, like developers, PMs and junior BAs/designers.

On the other hand I agree with Geert:
Sometimes it pays off to get the help of EA consultant before venturing into a custom-build adventure.
Or just moving back to Word or Visio. Yes, Sparx is challenging on many levels, but it can gratify you with many things that will amaze you!

On the other hand BAs and EAs are quite spoiled, organization allow them to use bad tools and practices (way they work, not methodologies they use) even though it's waste of time and money.
For instance, I cannot imagine that Java developer would complain on IDE and try to change whole project setup because he does not know how to do something in it. If you're good you should learn it or reconsider your career :-)  On contrary, I worked on few projects when it was extremely hard (months of discussions and presentations) to convince BAs that Word in not a tool for creating & managing requirements / documentation. Sorry for digression.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, that some of you may find some answers about Doc generation in my article, so please check it out here Nonlinear generation of documentation in Sparx Enterprise Architect.
Enhanced Requirement Attributes Addin for Enterprise Architect (ERA Addin) - http://zubkiewicz.com/?p=239

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any solution for Docs Generator (RTF)?
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »
A model is only as good as the way in which it can be used and communicated.
To have to write 'code' to generate a document seems just wrong.
Having the inbuilt document generator and an alternative in EAdocX largely satisfies the requirement of not having to write code.

The challenge is that: 1) EA is a complicated tool reflecting great functionality and power; and 2) models are complicated, as is the expression of them;

In the thread above the approach suggested of finding a means of using the extant functionality to meet the requirements is the correct approach.

The in-built generator has improved over the years, and I have found that using a model driven approach we can achieve what we need to to create the documents we need, with minimal post document processing (relating largely to extraneous white space and pagination).

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:42:05 am by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules
Using EA12.1 (1229) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 01:29:09 pm »
So that's where you work skiwi :-)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 02:17:40 pm »
The in-built generator has improved over the year, and I have found that using a model driven approach we can achieve what we need to to create the documents we need, with minimal post document processing (relating largely to extraneous white space and pagination).

Look out for the next build (12.1.1230) as I'm expecting a bugfix with regards tot he whitespace issue that should even lower the effort in "after processing".
The only major issue for post processing wil then be the resizing of the diagrams so they are on the same page as their caption.

Geert

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 06:08:20 am »
So that's where you work skiwi :-)
Outed.
Orthogonality rules
Using EA12.1 (1229) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 05:23:51 pm »
I've got to agree with Geert and disagree with advice of not using the builtin report generator. I've managed to work with the built in report generator to create 100% of my docs. In fact I've not written a doc for about 5 or 6 years now.  It has been a journey to learn the ins and outs of the report generator but its possible to do virtually anything so long as you use your imagination.

On the other hand it would be nice to improve it with some of the suggestions mentioned earlier.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:49:43 am by Sunshine »