Author Topic: EA drifting away?  (Read 8833 times)

Knaldgas

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: EA drifting away?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 02:11:57 am »
Loading EAExample.eap:
Version:  Time to UI ready / Time to CPU idle
10.0.1010: 25 / 34
12.1.1224: 33 / 41

Don't focus on the absolute times (I run this on single core 1.4GHz).

The performance of 12.1.1224 is 20-25% slower than under 10.0.1010.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:33 am »
Lazy load?

Knaldgas

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 09:28:21 pm »
Roger that: "Load on Demand (Lazy Load)"

Airport1

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 12:25:12 am »
"Some of the new or improved features we've seen in recent version seem to be very far from the core functionality of a modeling tool. (such as project management features, or charts)"

EA is currently being used in some large organisations where the modelling task is outsourced to a service provider that provides modellers. Examples include industry models development and enterprise architecture models development.

In these contexts, the modelling effort is large and require project management support, hence the pm tools.

I also think that bugs apart, part of the pain for the individual early user of the software is seeing the tool grow with features that do not directly support parts of the model delivery process of interest. But I can assure you that it can only get better. I would rather have a company that innovates with imperfect solution than a stagnant company with perfect limited product capabilities. Where is KnowledgeWare (IEW/ADW) and Popkin Software (System Architect) today. I used these tools and in the early days of my career, they were considered great.

I am pleased with the addition of new tools - the Schema Composer and Builder. These additions make otherwise complex processes more visual for non-programmers. They enable a more truly agile approach to application development.

We are the community, so lets keep on raising the bug reports and of course new feature requests as the CASE tool market is highly competitive and fragmented. For our favourite tool to survive and be available to us,  it must beat competing solutions in a number of areas including usability and useful features. ;)

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 11:44:45 am »
"Where is KnowledgeWare (IEW/ADW) and Popkin Software (System Architect) today.

I can't help you with the others, but Popkin System Architect is currently called IBM Rational System Architect.

We have the rather humourous IMHO situation here where we develop System Architecture models in Enterprise Architect and
Enterprise Architecture models in System Architect.

:-?

I'm occasionally required to do the latter, but prefer EA to SA.

;)
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 12:23:42 pm »
"Where is KnowledgeWare (IEW/ADW) and Popkin Software (System Architect) today.

I can't help you with the others, but Popkin System Architect is currently called IBM Rational System Architect.

We have the rather humourous IMHO situation here where we develop System Architecture models in Enterprise Architect and
Enterprise Architecture models in System Architect.

:-?

I'm occasionally required to do the latter, but prefer EA to SA.

;)
That's good for a laugh!

How can you say you prefer EA to SA when you're in SA?  ;D

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Airport1

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:58 pm »
About 10 years ago, before IBM's acquisition of System Architect, I worked in a Law Enforcement organisation (Government Agency) where we developed data standards in Rational Rose which then exported XMI 1.1 (will not export diagrams) and had to import this into version 9 of System Architect which had no XMI import capability. We paid huge consultancy fees to write a custom import utility for this import. Based on this experience, I helped IBM to specify the requirements for the alpha version of the Rational Data Architect (RDA).

Given all of that painful experience, I would hate to go back to those days.

I later joined an organisation in the Aviation industry that had acquired System Architect before my time. Of course, I demonstrated the dis-benefits of staying with the tool and worked hard to ensure that the dominant CASE tool in the organisation and the allied industry standards organisations is EA. Our suppliers also adopted the tool.

The contributions of ideas from these diverse groups helped EA grow up very fast hence some of the complaints in this Forum. I could imagine the pressure on the staff of Sparxsystem (still a small company in terms of number of staff). By the way I submitted 2 bug reports yesterday.

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:15 am »
Well I for one have found that I have managed to influence Sparx to get greater consistency in one small area (colour pickers)

Excellent, do tell me more
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 07:11:40 am »
Well I for one have found that I have managed to influence Sparx to get greater consistency in one small area (colour pickers)

Excellent, do tell me more

It's a boring story, read this blog instead http://www.righto.com/

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 07:52:58 am »
Interesting. But it's just that, I guess (my MacBook's power supply recently broke but there was not way to repair it - looks different again inside).

q.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Emoji's make you look younger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:34 pm »
Well I've found the latest versions and features really useful and think Sparx have done a great job. Yes maybe performance is slowing down but its not intolerable. I've used a lot of tools in this space and I've got to say Sparx certainly provides value for money and I've had that re-confirmed several times in the last 5 years by trying out others which always seem to disappoint me.
Menus change well I can see that there is logic in where things are being place and I can live with that. After all I am human and have learnt to adapt. Just please don't put a ribbon in place of the menus and cheese everyone off like MS did with Office.
Merry Christmas everyone.
 :)