Author Topic: Bi-Directional Interface Relationship Matrix CSV  (Read 441 times)

Thelonius

• EA User
  • I think. Therefore I get paid.
    • View Profile
Bi-Directional Interface Relationship Matrix CSV
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:59:50 pm »

The Relationship Matrix can be exported to CSV, but bi-directional interfaces (information flows connecting components) are not indicated in the exported CSV data, nor is the directionality of the connection. The CSV file contains only an 'X' to indicate that there is some kind of interface.

Please consider putting an 'X' if one direction (horizontal source to vertical target on the matrix)  and a 'Y' if the other direction (vertical source to horizontal target) and an 'XY' if the information flow is bi-directional.

This would make the CSV output more useful that the Relationship Matrix as I can format an Excel spreadsheet to print on an A3 form -- but can't get the Relationship Matrix to print directly to A3.

Thanks

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Relationship Matrix CSV export violates semantics of matrix
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »
I echo Thelonius' frustration!  I'm not worried about the use of navigability since the Matrix is concerned with Directionality, not Navigability.

However, the directions on the matrix should be reflected in the CSV.  My suggestion is to use "S" (for Source->Target), "T" for (for Target->Source) and "B" (for Both); thereby reflecting exactly the what the semantics are expressed on the Matrix in EA.

Reported (as a new defect),
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!