Author Topic: "RealisedBy" RTF option for elements  (Read 793 times)

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
"RealisedBy" RTF option for elements
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:59:51 am »
I'm trying to work around not being able to simply add a relationship matrix to RTf documentation. I wanted to do this by specifying a template for only the relationship matrix in which you can sum all of the requirements from the model and show all elements that realize the requirement next to it (with a 2 columned table or something).

Now I could find a way to sum all elements which "Realise" some other element, but that's not what I want. I want to show it the other way around, by which elements a specific (requirement)element is "Realized by".

That way, you could iterate all (Requirement)elements in the RTF generator and just list the elements that the (requirement)element is  "Realise by".

What I would like:
RequirementRealised by
FR 1.0UseCase 1
UseCase 2
UseCase3
FR 1.1UseCase 3
UseCase 4
FR 2.0UseCase 1
UseCase 5

What I won't like:
RequirementRealised by
UseCase 1FR 1.0
FR 2.0
UseCase 2FR 1.0
UseCase 3FR 1.0
FR 1.1
UseCase 4FR 1.1
UseCase 5FR 2.0

Anybody any idea if, and if so, how I could do this with build 832?

Dermot

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: "RealisedBy" RTF option for elements
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:15:31 pm »
There are some additional features to be introduced in build 833 that will allow filtering on connector type and direction (but not on Connector destination element type).  This will allow you to show, for example, for any element  - all connected elements being Realized in  Source->Target direction.

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:36:29 pm »
Ok, then I'll wait for build 833. Is there allready an idea when this build is expected?

Pkhaiat

• EA Novice
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:01 pm »
Dermot:
I have exactly the same issue when trying to generate a relationship matrix as part of an RTF report. Ideally, I would like to be able to simply include one in a template definition, without the kludge of generating one & pasting a screen shot into a linked document.

Failing that, it would be very nice to be able to follow a connector from an element to the set of related elements, regardless of whether the current element is at the source or target end. Right now, we have to build the template which either only works for elements at one end of a connector, or if we want to guarantee to get all the related elements, we have to accept duplicate entries in the report for the "source" element.

Dermot

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 03:50:08 pm »
Hello PJK,
Requests for a relationship matrix option in RTF reporting have been submitted - no garuntees though. Are you aware of the other options for viewing relationships - the main menu option: View | Other Windows | Relationships (Ctrl-Shift-2) or the Hierarchy View?  As is, The relationship matrix does have options to do a report or CSV export (for import to Excel or a table).

Pkhaiat

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:27 pm »
Yes, I am aware of the other options, but thanks for reminding me about them. While they are very useful when viewing a model directly, unfortunately none of these allow direct inclusion of the relationships in a larger RTF document. The "export to Excel" comes close, but something along the lines of "save to linked document" would be much nicer.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:02:30 pm »
Perhaps you could generate a Dependency Report and/or Implementation Report and save the output to a file that you can call into your RTF document? Would that work for you?
Best Regards, Roy

Pkhaiat

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:08 am »
Roy:
Not really. The problem is that you have to generate both separately, otherwise the matrix included in the RTF may not be current. It doesn't really matter whether it is in an external file or a linked document (other than the fact that a linked document lives inside the EA repository).
Following the relationship link in a template lets you generate a current matrix in a single step, but the result is not as pretty as the EA matrix.

What we are really looking for is the ability to include an EA matrix directly, perhaps by having some mechanism to link a model document to a saved matrix profile.