Author Topic: Merge components  (Read 1307 times)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
Merge components
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:01 pm »
One of the common problem when modelling with a team of many people is that two people sometimes create the same object. It would be a really great feature to be able to merge objects. Something like dragging an object with the ctrl or shft key pressed in the project browser and dropping it onto the another of the same type. A dialog would pop up saying do you want to merge with options of overwrite target or source (for properties and tag values). Sparx EA would then merge the two objects into one, replacing the instances in diagrams and combining relationships with other objects.
This would facilitate rationalisation of objects when working large teams.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:34:31 pm by phenzell »

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: Merge components
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »
yus, gets my vote
Orthogonality rules
Using EA12.1 (1229) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:59:29 pm »
Yes. Though I think it's quite tricky to make it user friendly. Especially replacing occurrences of the replaced element (be it in diagrams or as classifier) is challenging.

q.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 07:34:25 am »
Yes. Though I think it's quite tricky to make it user friendly. Especially replacing occurrences of the replaced element (be it in diagrams or as classifier) is challenging.

q.
Tricky maybe but not impossible. I've seen it implemented on another tool  ;)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:52:00 am »
I just wanted to point Sparx' nose in the right direction. They should make a requirements analysis followed by an use case synthesis, shouldn't they? Looking at most of the recent "improvements" I get the feeling that these were done directly from the programmers :P

q.