Author Topic: Auto Repeat MOVE ELEMENT UP / DOWN  (Read 2020 times)

Doug Blake

• EA User
    • View Profile
Auto Repeat MOVE ELEMENT UP / DOWN
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:32:18 pm »
I do a lot of projects based on other projects which I then edit and reorganise. This necessitates that I move elements up and down the project tree. You very quickly get sore fingers clicking the mouse and auto repeat would be very useful on the move element buttons.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:32:37 pm by douglasgblake »
DGB Using 12.0.1214 / eaDocX 3.6.2.1 / MSSQL / TFS / Windows 7 / IE11

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Repeat MOVE ELEMENT UP / DOWN
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:39:55 pm »
I never got why dragging was not implemented instead.

q.

T Kouno

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:57 am »
Shortcut key Ctrl+Up/Down Arrow may be useful.

HTH,
--
t-kouno

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 01:53:42 pm »
Sorry, what exactly are you doing? I have been moving elements, Packages and diagrams around my sandpit model by dragging, cutting and pasting, and using arrow keys, individually and in multiple selections. What are you trying to do that isn't possible? If you are re-sorting elements within a Package, does the Allow Free Sorting option on the Tools | Options | General page help you?
Best Regards, Roy

Doug Blake

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 05:43:13 pm »
Anywhere up to 50 elements reside in a package say and I need to reorder them using the ELEMENT UP/DOWN buttons at the top of the project browser. Dragging within a package doesn't allow you to reorder the elements. You cant drop an element between two others, only on another element making the first a child of the second.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:21:10 am »
I am doing some work in EA where the sequence of elements in each Package is crucial, so I understand that you might need to manually re-order the elements in a Package. My Packages don't contain huge numbers of elements though. What is the basis for re-ordering your elements?

Best Regards, Roy

Doug Blake

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 12:36:59 am »
OK, just so you understand, when we first started using EA, we weren't all that UML savvy so really just used it to document our requirements in a way we saw fit at the time. Probably true of many of your users. So, because the component element made for useful diagrams, we used that as a node in our project with many requirements as children. The top level package had at least 2 components in its hierarchy before reaching a requirement. Auto numbering was turned on and these became paragraph numbers in our output documents (We use eaDocX).
A way down the line I am using this original document as the basis of another one. However components don't fulfil my need so I am converting each component to a feature. Bearing in mind I want to use the same numbering (the documents are related), I create a new feature, move all the requirements as children of the feature and remove the component. When finished the features don't have the same order as the original components hence the need for the MOVE UP / DOWN.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:26:22 am »
Well, I can see that you are doing a lot of moving around.

I don't quite understand how you have structured things originally (when you say "The top level package had at least 2 components in its hierarchy before reaching a requirement" did you mean 'a Component contains a Component, which contains Requirements'?) so in my test model I probably haven't reproduced what you describe. However, could you try changing the Component element type to Feature (click on the element, click on Element | Advanced | Change Type; persist with this, because for some reason the option was greyed out when I did it on the first couple of elements, and then it all came good.) Then - if necessary - rename the elements; if you are lucky the names might work regardless of the element type, so you won't have to change them.

That should avoid all this creating new Features, dragging Requirements onto new parent elements, deleting Components and then - I hope - having to re-sort the elements.

Any good?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:33:22 am by RoyC »
Best Regards, Roy

Doug Blake

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 04:54:16 pm »
Well there you go, a feature I didn't know existed ... Change Element Type. Thanks for that. There are so many functions!! I think I shall go and explore all the Advanced sub menus.
You are correct with your summary and yes this will help. Thanks.