Author Topic: General rules for participating in this forum  (Read 1883 times)

jaimeglz

• EA User
    • View Profile
General rules for participating in this forum
« on: December 11, 2002, 08:06:48 am »
Here's a proposal for general rules for all participants in this forum (drawn form my Dec. 7th proposal in the General Discussion forum).

1. All ideas are welcome, and references and short quotations from diverse sources are in order. But forum members should not include in their contributions copyrighted or proprietary material (except, of course, with written permission to do so for a free and open development process).

2. Parts --even substantial parts-- of existing public-domain or free process descriptions and documentation are welcome to be included, because they will make our task easier; but please make at least a summary motivation for it in the forum, and not just sweeping statements.

3. Debate is the best way to advance any issue where disagreement or contradiction arise; but net-etiquette and respect among participants are imperative if we are to gain clarity. Participants who incur in flaming others will be called to order and, if agreed by at least five other participants who have been in the forum for three or more months, postings that break net-etiquette can be branded as «offensive to the purposes of this forum».

Needless to say, other ideas and contributions on this topic are welcome.

Jaime Gonzalez

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: General rules for participating in this forum
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 09:04:06 am »
Jaime,

I understand the intent but....

"3. Debate is the best way to advance any issue where disagreement or contradiction arise; but net-etiquette and respect among participants are imperative if we are to gain clarity. Participants who incur in flaming others will be called to order and, if agreed by at least five other participants who have been in the forum for three or more months, postings that break net-etiquette can be branded as «offensive to the purposes of this forum». "

We're all grown-ups and I think we're all pretty cool with things but I'm not going to participate in something where there are rules for banishment, rules on who can by banished and who can participate in the banishment and all that type of stuff.

Let Geoff be the monitor and let it be.  I'm just really disappointed that "rules" like this were posted and all... it sets an omen that I hope doesn't come to pass.   <heavy sigh>

I suggest we start with the following (no rules).

a) What are our objectives.
b) What would the outcome be if our objectives are met.
c) A SHORT Vision Statement.

If people want, I can collect all of the A) B) and C) and put them together in one document for us to then discuss and vote on.   Then we can move to the next phase.

Just an idea...

Steve
Steve Straley

jaimeglz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 09:54:05 am »
Hi Steve,

There's a misunderstanding: I'm not proposing to banish anything. What I'm proposing is that we have a simple way of expressing ourselves when someone is playing way-off side. I've participated in other forums, and have seen the enormous distraction of resources and attention because of trolling and flaming practices. Instead of loosing our cool, what we should do is simply get the opinion of five participants and make a posting saying that we find the tone or the content offensive to the purposes of this forum.

Geoff's moderation would be great, but he is too busy to have to worry about someone comming in and distrtacting our forum with some silly trolling prases.

If you insist, however, I will simpley remove the posting.

Jaime

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 10:12:38 am »
Jaime,

Don't remove anything <smile>... that's the point of open discussions.

I've been involved in forums like this as well and just think that a limited number of us will actually participate and we all know one another at this point.   And why 5?  Why not 3 or 10, and why 3 months?  In other words, it just isn't necessary I think at this time for us to worry about this.   I mean as it stands, it's just you and me at the moment and we haven't been here more than 2 days <ROFL>!

Steve
Steve Straley

jaimeglz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 06:53:27 am »
Guess you're right, Steve: the most important issue right now is making this forum interesting... We certainly hope to get enough participants so as to make it tempting for trollers! ;)

Jaime