Author Topic: IS there a guide to recommended security groups  (Read 850 times)

tonyabs

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
IS there a guide to recommended security groups
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »
We have a shared repository (on Orcle) and use Sparx security. There are many permissions. Is there a guide to setting up groups within a shared repository to ensure the more "dangerous" permissions are only associated with highly priveleged groups.
By dangerous I mean, the permission allows changes that can impact many other users, and not necessarily in a good way all the time.
So looking for a typical setting for groups like "admins", "managers", "team leaders".

TomO

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
  • EA - Bridging the gap between Business and IT
    • View Profile
    • Sparx Systems
Re: IS there a guide to recommended security groups
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 04:41:28 pm »
Hey tonyabs,

We have split security up in three different sections for our enterprise model.
1. Administrators: They have access to everything
2. Users: Everyone else who is not an administrator is a user. Users have everything except for the three Security Permissions (Enable/Disable, Manage Locks, Manage Users) and  some others (Manage Project Calendar [as we only want specific people updating our calendar], Admin Workflow, Administer Database and Audit Settings).
3. Groups with No permissions at all: (which we use to create model mail lists to keep teams informed).

There is a 3.1 point to that where individuals may be given special access to do specific tasks that sit outside the group permissions.

Above and beyond the group permissions, I would suggest you setup the model structure to help too. We structure the model in such a way that everyone generally works in their own area (or their own teams area), and we use Model and Diagram locking so people don't inadvertently overwrite someone else's work.

I hope this helps

TomO

tonyabs

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 09:04:03 am »
Thanks TomO
Seems no actual best practice from Sparx. Your advice will help me sort out current issues, so thanks again.
I'm presuming that permissions are additive, ie total permissions for an in individual is sum of all the groups they belong to, meaning don't have to repeat permissions (except for say an admins group)?

tsondreal

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:27:59 am »
Do you also use a third-party version control system such as TFS or CVS?

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:03:31 pm »
I've set mine security up in two dimensions
a) disciplines like business analyst, architect, etc
b) competence. i.e. beginner, intermediate, advanced, admin

where a) allows packages to be locked to certain users like business processes to BAs
and b) restricts what they can do. The beginners are very limited but advanced and admin can do just about everything.

Then allocate one or more for group a) so it restricts what package tree they can edit and one for group b) to restrict what they can do in that package tree.

BTW
Follow structure similar to TOGAF/Archimate

-Business Architecture
-Application Architecture
-Data Architecture
-Infrastructure Architecture

Hope that helps.

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »
Hi Tony,

Note that a description on each permission is available from Sparx Help: http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.5/team_support/permissionlist.html

I used this list to help the teams decide the permissions allocation for each group (http://www.umlchannel.com/en/enterprise-architect/item/197-sparx-enterprise-architect-permissions-id-and-name-mapping-for-your-scripts-and-add-ins), before providing some Excel extraction (and update now actually to maintain consistency amongst all EA projects).

Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com | Automated tests for scripts & addins: www.eatests.com

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:21:03 am »
If you are posting to tonyabs, just note that he posted in February 2016. Although the information will, of course, be valuable to anyone having the same issues and finding the thread.
Best Regards, Roy