Author Topic: Object diagram - putting operations from a webservice into it generates actions  (Read 2674 times)

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a question / topic I don't understand fully. I'm using EA 12.1, the model has been developed since EA 7.

Situation:
I have a class, create an UML object diagram and drag it into there.
Then transforming that class to an instance and rename it.

In another package I have modeled a webservice with some operations.

Now I'd like to show connection (dependencies) between the object and the operations.

Context: the class represents authorization and some operations of this webservice just requires them, some not.

My problem:

As soon as I drag the operations into my UML object diagram, the EA creates actions.
And additionally as I take all at once, hangs one action under the other - resulting in a long diagonal line.

If I check GUID from action: it is different to the operation of spoken webservice.
But if I check either action and operation with "find in all diagrams", it gets located in created UML object diagram.

The core problem here is that I want to ensure to keep the operation linked to the class instance.

I'm used to use "Strg + G" for locating element in project browser and I see - it goes anywhere instead to the webservice.

My question finally is:
- Do I need other diagram type to prevent this action creating? Which one?
- Is it impossible to link class instances to webservice operations by UML or by EA?

Because I can't use the relationship matrix to show it. At least because I can't even get a matrix by choosing the package with webservice and package with obejcts.
Works like a charm with UseCases and objects.

Thank you very much.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what you want to achieve when dragging an operation onto a diagram (other than creating an action).

q.

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi qwerty,

thanks for your fast reply.

I assumed it will stay the operation thus the connection is between operation and object. No new Guid.

Something like "this part connects that way to that part."
Pulling in entire webservice doesn't allow me to make connections to its operations.

Do I understand you right that it should be "most normal in the world" to get actions?
How do they stay connected to the operations?

thanks

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Shehit,

You should probably just put the complete webservice there. then you can link to the individual operations using the "link to element" feature.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
You need to drop the operation over the instance. Then it will create the operation inside and not an action.

q.

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips, maybe I try to do things UML does not support. And I did not find the feature "Link to element". Rightclick on e.g. "Edit:RightsClass" allows me to (Add -> Create Link) choose from UseCases, but not from Webservices.

To talk about same things I attached a sample as .eap und .xml. Okay, can't attach anything, hope you can see the pictures.

http://abload.de/img/projectbrowser41smt.png
http://abload.de/img/rights2usecasesstsjm.png
http://abload.de/img/rights2webservicesasu3.png
http://abload.de/img/usecases2webservices9lsgn.png

What I realized doing so: operations as part of the webservice don't have their own GUID. There might be the reason that "other than creating an action".

You see dependencies from e.g. "BigBusinessV1.setNumbers" to "Edit:RightsClass" and "Write:RightsClass". EA creates actions as part of package "Rights2Webservice".

Thanks for your investigation.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
Operations have a guid just like (almost) anything else in the model, but I don't see how that is relevant to this discussion.

Maybe you should start by explaining (on a meta level) which types of elements you would like to link to which types of other elements.

In EA there is always a way to achieve that, but some links are a bit harder to make then others.

Geert

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
I try to connect operations (as part of webserivce element) with object instances derived from a class.
mainly as dependency, because the operation needs the object to do their operation.
Anything else direct would fit for the beginning.

Is that metalevel?

Shegit

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
In that case I would use the "link to element feature" function.

See http://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/12.1/building_models/connect_to_element_feature.html

For more information.

Geert

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Great, that works like a charm.

I'm sorry, I tried to follow your hint from previous post but was unable to find it :(

Now I will try to mark this post as "solved" or something,

Shegit