Author Topic: Copying Ports  (Read 1847 times)

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
Copying Ports
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:22:30 pm »
I have a set of blocks that I need to duplicate. Each block owns a number of operations and ports as well as relationships to other blocks. I have selected the blocks I wish to duplicate and copied them to the clipboard and then pasted them onto a new SysML BDD. EA creates new blocks and these blocks contain the operations that I had previously defined  :D, the relationships to other blocks  :D but... where are the ports?!?  ???

EA doesn't seem to copy the ports too. I tried placing the original blocks a BDD, making the ports visible by turning on (selected) structural features - so that the ports are visible on the diagram. I then tried Ctrl + dragging the block onto a new diagram. Once again, EA creates a new block with operations and relationships, but no ports?

I have tried ctrl + dragging the original ports from the project browser onto the new block but EA complains, saying I can't drop ports onto the block because it is not the owner of the ports - Yes, I know EA!! I am trying to copy the ports.

Any suggestions?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Copying Ports
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:27:41 pm »
Have you tried the copy/paste features within the project browser?

Geert

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:38:38 pm »
On project browser it works for me.
Just when I click on the diagram an use edit/copy and edit/past as new the block with nothing else is copied.
How do you do your copy action?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:41:49 pm »
For Goodness Sake!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Thanks guys, copying using the context menus on the browser worked! Previously I had been copying by Ctrl + C and had also tried dragging the item from the browser onto a diagram using the Ctrl + Drag trick that was mentioned during the recent EA user forum in London! Neither of these "diagram based" methods took the ports with them.

Unfortunately I had already gone through the process of doing it all manually - oh well... at least I know for next time